Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Waiting for sync to start? iOS 8.1 - OS X 10.10 - iTunes 12.0.1.26

I've had this problem ever since my iPod Touch upgraded to iOS 7, and iTunes upgraded to 11.

My iPod is a 5th Gen. 64GB model. Currently running iOS 8.1

My computer is MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) 15" running OS X Yosemitie (10.10).

iTunes is running version 12.0.1.26

Now, I've had these 'Waiting For Sync To Start', or 'Preparing To Copy Items' forever messages a few times over the last year or so. I would search online and try these little methods of always making sure your Find My iPod Touch is switched off, or that you have no voice memos etc etc. And they sort of work. But eventually the problem comes back. This time it came back because I left my USB wire at work and decided maybe Sync over WiFi would be a great idea (NOT!)..............

So in an effort to fix it I've stumbled across a little breakthrough which doesn't seem to answer any questions but definitely poses another one.

I restored my iPod (for the umpteenth time) in an effort to start again and sync from fresh. I was not signed in to Apple account at the time (Store > Sign Out). I remained logged out while setting up iPod, and beginning sync. I was doing it very slowly, one playlist at a time, so that iTunes only copied 200 or less songs at once. When I was finished copying Playlists, I signed into iTunes Store, and downloaded a song. I went to my iPod and clicked Sync. Lo and behold the Waiting To Start message began and we all know that if you see it last longer than 10 seconds you know you're in trouble.

This hasn't previously been an issue. I am wondering why now? Or what else is glitching that is stopping me from synchronising?

MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo 15.4", Mac OS X (10.5.2), 2GB RAM

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 7:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 7:16 PM

I ejected my iPod.

I signed out of iTunes Store.

I plugged my iPod in again.

I pressed Sync.

It worked.

Why? What's the problem? I want to be signed in to the iTunes Store. I don't get it.

Any answers? Hacks? Updates? Apple?

2 replies

Aug 15, 2015 3:48 PM in response to domo_hudson

Experienced same problem with iPad 3 iOS8.4.1 connected to Mac Mini (Late 2012) running OS X Yosemite 10.10.4:

Connected running iPad to running Mac on which iTunes was already signed-in to Apple Store.

Got "Waiting for Sync to Start" that sat there for 10 minutes, then "The iPad [my iPad's name] could not be synced because the sync session failed to start."

Work-around for my iPad 3 iOS8.4.1:

• Signed Mac's iTunes out of Apple Store.
  • Ejected iPad from iTunes.
  • Disconnected iPad cable.
  • Quit and then re-started iTunes.
  • Re-started iPad.
  • Re-connected iPad cable.
  • Re-initiated sync in iTunes.
  • Sync completed, successfully.
  • Ejected iPad.
  • Disconnected iPad cable.

Tested to verify that Mac's Apple Store connectivity was the issue w/syncing to my iPad 3 iOS8.4.1:

• Signed iTunes into Apple Store (had to verify payment info -- big headache).
  • Re-connected iPad cable.
  • Re-initiated sync in iTunes.
  • Got "Waiting for Sync to Start" that sat there for 1 minute, this time, then "The iPad [my iPad's name] could not be synced because the sync session failed to start."
  • Ejected iPad
  • Disconnected iPad cable

But Surprise!:

Connected iPad Mini 2 iOS8.4.1

(iTunes still signed into Apple Store)

Sync w/iPad Mini2 started, automatically and completed without error!

Same Mac Mini, same sync cable (this time w/lightning adaptor).

What gives?!?!

Waiting for sync to start? iOS 8.1 - OS X 10.10 - iTunes 12.0.1.26

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.