Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I delete an application that is locked?

Hello--I am working on a MacBook Pro (mid-2010), OS 10.8.5. I discovered looking through Finder that a Crash Plan app (I had tried a free couple of weeks and then asked to cancel) is still occupying 190.4 MB. During a routine virus scan, I saw in the Sophos log (which said "no threats") that Crash Plan seemed to have attempted to activate numerous times; but when I tried to delete it by first unchecking the "locked" box on the Info pane, the check immediately returned every time. Can anyone tell me how I can successfully and permanently trash this? Thank you!

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 8:46 PM

3 replies

Apr 20, 2015 8:28 AM in response to March95

Open a Finder window and highlight the item.

Open a Terminal window and type

rm -rf

type a space after that.

Then drag the highlighted item from the Finder window and drop it in the Terminal window.

Hit 'return' on your keyboard. If you get an error saying "permission denied", add the word "sudo" to the beginning of the Terminal command:

sudo rm -rf

(again, type a space after -rf ). Drag the item in and hit 'return' again. Now you'll need to enter an Admin password; note that the Terminal window will be unresponsive when you type your password, but type it anyway and hit 'return'. If you typed it correctly, the file will be deleted. If not, you'll get a message saying "Sorry, try again."

User uploaded file

how can I delete an application that is locked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.