Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Windows 8.1 Pro for Students supported for use with Boot Camp?

Is Windows 8.1 Pro for Students supported for use with Boot Camp? Also, do I have to have access to a pc to get the iso file out of the exe program included in the download to install this OS?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 10:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2014 7:34 AM

if it's a digital install than it may be an upgrade rather than a full install

14 replies

Oct 24, 2014 4:56 PM in response to romans 10 13

Thanks for your reply. Based upon what I saw on the Microsoft store and Microsoft's Amazon.com store: the upgrade from windows 7 is also known as windows 8.1 full version. Here are some links:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-8-1-Full-Version/dp/B00EDSI7QO/ref=sr_1_ 1?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1414194625&sr=1-1&keywords=windows+8+full+version

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Windows-8.1/productID.288401 200

Also has anyone here has tried installing windows 8.1 for students on a mac or not?

Oct 24, 2014 6:45 PM in response to romans 10 13

You need a Windows machine to run the .exe that downloads the ISO/USB. I would recommend downloading both types of media (ISO/DVD and USB) and keep both copies, as a contingency, if either is damaged or lost.

It would be a quick test if you run BA and provide the ISO as input, it will either accept it or reject and you will know immediately. If it is accepted, it can be installed.

From Boot Camp 5.1: Frequently asked questions

Which versions of Windows work with Boot Camp 5.1?
You can use:

• Microsoft Windows 8.0 and 8.1 (64-bit)
  • Microsoft Windows 8.0 and 8.1 Pro (64-bit)
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)

Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Enterprise versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8 are not supported.

Mar 13, 2015 4:48 PM in response to AttitudeXX

You download the drivers from bootcamp assistant on to a usb flash drive and

after installation use the flash drive with the bootcamp drivers to install.

My original post in this thread is old--

UPDATE: I am currently running Mac OS X 10.10.2 Yosemite with the

latest Bootcamp and Bootcamp drivers and Windows 8.1 Pro Student Edition.

Everything works and no problems what so ever 🙂

Mar 13, 2015 5:44 PM in response to AttitudeXX

You need to do this from the OS X side, and have a blank USB2 flash disk. There is no BCA on the Windows side. Older drivers can be manually downloaded from Windows side, but the 2014 Macs can only use BCA.

MacBook Pro

Mac model Windows 8 64-bit Windows 7 64-bit Windows 7 32-bit Windows Vista 64-bit Windows Vista 32-bit Windows XP 32-bit
MacBook Pro
(Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
BCA - - - - -
MacBook Pro
(Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
BCA BCA - - - -
MacBook Pro
(Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)
BCA BCA - - - -

Is Windows 8.1 Pro for Students supported for use with Boot Camp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.