Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: How do I get Yahoo Messenger to work with OS X Yosemite?

Since upgrading to OS X Yosemite on my MacBook Pro, Yahoo Messenger no longer works. Any suggestions / solutions?

MacBook Pro

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Oct 23, 2014 7:53 AM in response to BernP In response to BernP

You can use "Messages" application within your Mac for Yahoo! Messenger, please follow the following steps:

Launch "Messages" application,

From top menu select Messages Menu,

Choose "Add Account" sub menu,

Now, you can add your Yahoo account to this application.

You can do the same for all other IM applications (as well as your text messages) and use "messages" as the single point communication application.

I hope this helps to solve your problem.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Oct 23, 2014 5:22 AM in response to BernP In response to BernP

u can´t. it's over. they don't care about mac anymore.

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/messenger/SLN24720.html

MAC OS X 10.10 Yosemite and later: Yahoo Messenger is not compatible

To continue delivering a safe, secure, and stable Yahoo Messenger for Mac, Yahoo Messenger won’t be supported on versions newer than Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

WHAT?

is it just me or do tech companies just suck in general?

Oct 23, 2014 5:22 AM

Reply Helpful (2)
Question marked as Helpful

Oct 23, 2014 7:53 AM in response to BernP In response to BernP

You can use "Messages" application within your Mac for Yahoo! Messenger, please follow the following steps:

Launch "Messages" application,

From top menu select Messages Menu,

Choose "Add Account" sub menu,

Now, you can add your Yahoo account to this application.

You can do the same for all other IM applications (as well as your text messages) and use "messages" as the single point communication application.

I hope this helps to solve your problem.

Oct 23, 2014 7:53 AM

Reply Helpful (5)

Oct 25, 2014 2:21 AM in response to BernP In response to BernP

Yahoo Messenger app is NOT compatible (yet) with Yosemite software. Yahoo chat can still be accessed if you get to it from inside Yahoo.com; Yahoo Mail....then find the Chat icon. Yahoo may or MAY NOT choose to upgrade so this maw be the new method from here on out, or choose a new chat.

Oct 25, 2014 2:21 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 19, 2014 8:51 AM in response to BernP In response to BernP

While I have to thank Yahoo for forcing me to finally stop using the one remaining Yahoo service I did use, I now find I'm having to use Skype. What are the VIDEO chat alternatives that others use? For me the solution has to include Macs and Windows at minimum and Android + iPhone a nice-to-have.

Nov 19, 2014 8:51 AM

Reply Helpful

Jan 15, 2015 7:12 PM in response to BernP In response to BernP

I added my Yahoo account to Messages and it was working fine, but suddenly I get a popup saying my credentials are incorrect, even though I've rechecked them a dozen times. My Yahoo account won't connect now. Anyone else having this issue?

Jan 15, 2015 7:12 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: BernP

Question: How do I get Yahoo Messenger to work with OS X Yosemite?