Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I were to buy a new MacBook Pro now, would it run Mavericks?

... because there is no way I would want it to run that incredibly ugly looking new Mac OS called Yosemite!

I would even consider going back to a PC laptop before I considered any computer with a UI that looked like Yosemite.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2014 4:11 AM

6 replies

Oct 23, 2014 7:06 AM in response to Steve Zodiac

The odds are heavily stacked against you. Late 2011 MBPs came with Lion installed, but you can install the latest edition of Snow leopard by cloning it into the MBP.

You might be able to do the same by trying to clone the latest version of Mavericks in those MBPs with a model identifier which had Mavericks originally installed. I do not know if it would work or not. These would be the mid 2014 models. You would try this at your own peril.

Ciao.

Oct 24, 2014 4:01 AM in response to Steve Zodiac

I just bought one but it is still in transit. I bought it a couple hours after Yosemite was announced and am really hoping that it comes with Mavericks. I had actually bought it before the release but had to cancel and reorder to change the shipping address because nobody was going to be around when it was due to arrive.

In 2011 I bought a MBP that came with Lion and I was able to go back to Snow Leopard as the hardware had originally been built for that. I would guess that you could back up to 10.9 on a mid-2014 MBP even if it came with 10.10.

This shows that they shipped originally with 10.9.4:

Mac OS X versions (builds) for computers

And have had no firmware updates:

EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs

Please Apple, I hope you shipped my machine with Mavericks so I don't have to use the abomination that is Yosemite.

If I were to buy a new MacBook Pro now, would it run Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.