Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't send mail

"Cannot send message using the server btinternet.com

the server response was : too many messages"

When I persist, keep trying to send, or use "send later", the emails eventually go, however this can take HOURs and is very frustrating and time wasting.

If I send from webmail all works OK.

I am using imap in my outgoing server, not POP.

I have tried sorting this via BT - and via their bt.com/help/macmailsetup and looking at web solutions, however not getting anywhere.

Any advice anyone please?

Ta

2.93GHz Intel Core i7, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Memory 8GB also Mac OS X now (10.7)

Posted on Oct 23, 2014 5:25 AM

6 replies

Oct 23, 2014 6:25 AM in response to George Hilton

George.

A little while ago(like a month or so) some of our computers had trouble sending emails on our bt mail accounts. I ended up deleting the mail server in the outgoing SMTP settings and re-adding the details. FWIW i have my own BT Mail account set up to forward everything to my iCloud account pick it up from there-so personally i don't get any mail or send it on BT. You can even make your reply to email the btinternet when you do this. If find for me this works nicely, my wife does not do it this way-she uses her BT mail account-and occasionally has had problems.

You say you are using Imap but in the above your incoming mail server is the OLD mail.btinternet.com instead imap.mail.yahoo.com(i seem to recall that was one of the issues we found).

You are not showing the settings interestingly for outgoing mail. What you are showing is the incoming IMAP settings not the outgoing mail settings(-in the first window there click on the 'outgoing mail server' and go to the edit servers and select the outgoing mail server to get to this...

User uploaded file

make sure that outgoing mail server address in the servers list(not the name-thats just a name you know it by) is mail.smtp.yahoo.com. HTH

Oct 23, 2014 6:29 AM in response to George Hilton

This one absolutely works, worked for me on all my Apple devices :-)

Quit mail

Open up Finder

In the Finder menu bar select Go > Go to folder

type in ~/Library and click Go (on my kb the "~" is next to the left shift key)

Open the folder Mail

Open the folder V2

Open the folder MailData

Double click to open Accounts.plist (should open in TextEdit)

Find the block of data that contains the offending mail account

Find the line within this block that says <key>UserAllowsInsecureAuthentication</key>

Change the line below this from <false/> to <true/>

Quit TextEdit

Restart mail

Can't send mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.