Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migration assistant hangs: can't move G5 stuff

I have just upgraded to Yosemite on a mid-2011 i3 based imac in good shape. everything works well.

i have enabled file sharing, have in on a local wifi network, and have an older G5 on the net, also with sharing turned on, and they "see" each other - i can poke around at one from the other. But when I run "Migration Assistant" on the Yosemite system it just hangs. twirling circles, looking for a server, a Mac, a time capsule, etc. I guess it would hang there for days.

If I try to "add server" to Migration Assistant, it seems to add OK, using the ip address of the G5, but it doesn't help because its still hung hunting for partners on the net....

I'm stumped. How do I migrate the files, bookmarks from safari, etc from the G5. When I researched this, several folks said Migration Assistant works just swell. Does it not work on Wifi? I do not have a firewire cable

thanks

rb

iMac, iMac Ruby G3 400 Slot

Posted on Oct 23, 2014 6:52 AM

1 reply

Oct 26, 2014 7:03 AM in response to T-west

Hello T-west,

After reviewing your post, I have located an article that can help with Migration Assistant. This article is meant for Mavericks, but the same information applies to Yosemite:

Migration Assistant in Mavericks is compatible with OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.8 or later. If you are migrating from an earlier version of OS X, update your older computer first, or manually copy your data from one computer to another.

Thank you for contributing to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

BobbyD

migration assistant hangs: can't move G5 stuff

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.