Looks like no oneā€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro iMac 5K i5 ?

Since I have the money in giftcards from Bestbbuy, I must buy the computer there šŸ˜

But they only sell the base model (i5 processor and 2 GBs GPU)

Would this be enough for me to edit 4K videos on Final Cut Pro in a seamlessly fashion ?

Thanks,šŸ™‚šŸ˜€

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 23, 2014 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2014 11:46 AM

IMHO, you really do want to upgrade to the M295X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory. I'm getting the i7 4GB (helpful), with 512SSD (faster that fusion drive), the M295X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory (essential for better FCPX performance), and I'll be getting 32GB of Ram from another vendor to save money. If you're doing 1080p, it might be fine, but once you begin layering, adding effects, exporting, etc..., you're going to wish you had the faster, beefier video card.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2014 11:46 AM in response to PeterPancho

IMHO, you really do want to upgrade to the M295X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory. I'm getting the i7 4GB (helpful), with 512SSD (faster that fusion drive), the M295X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory (essential for better FCPX performance), and I'll be getting 32GB of Ram from another vendor to save money. If you're doing 1080p, it might be fine, but once you begin layering, adding effects, exporting, etc..., you're going to wish you had the faster, beefier video card.

Oct 23, 2014 2:27 PM in response to James Gleason4

That was helpfulšŸ˜®, I'll review my options, worst case I buy the Mac pro mid range ($3700 at bestbuy) I have $2,500 in in-store gift cards (that's why I can't use them anywhere else), I'll end up putting $1,200 from my pocket. (I'll have 6 GB GPU and I'll upgrade later the CPU)

And not to mention, I'll buy all the external things including a 4k monitor šŸ˜•

THANKS A LOT

Oct 23, 2014 2:33 PM in response to PeterPancho

Well, my friend, that is not a "worst case!" The 6-core/D500 is a great machine and will power you for years. That's what I've been saving up for, but this iMac 5K busted in and messed up my plans! You will be very happy with the 6-core. I'm still waiting for GPU tests to tell me how much I'll sacrifice by going with the iMac's single M295X over the dual D500s. Back in January, 2008 I bought my 3,1 MacPro 8-Core 2.8 and have only had to upgrade the video card. It's served me well for almost 7 years. I doubt an iMac could have done that, nor will it in the future.

May 26, 2015 2:45 AM in response to James Gleason4

I'm facing the same issue. I'm on the fence between the maxed out 5K iMac and 6 Core D500 32GB Mac Pro. I do 1080p video editing (might move to 4K in the future), photography, and 3D animations (I'm a student). If I get one of these machines, I will want them to last as long as possible. As beautiful as the 5K display is, the Mac Pro is more of a powerhouse, and will likely last a lot longer...

Update, I just read that the Mac Pro is based on the Ivy bridge architecture. Seeing that Ivy Bridge dates back to 2012, I'm definitely waiting for WWDC, to see what we get. However, I guess if I'm prepared to wait, it's best to wait for Skylake later this year.

Final Cut Pro iMac 5K i5 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.