Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook running hot after Yosemite update

Hello

After updating to Yosemite this week, I have noticed that the cooling fan on my Macbook spools up and down far more than it ever has before. It doesn't run all the time, but I have had to take extra steps to cool it down (like propping it up to where there is better air circulation under the Macbook). The Macbook is an Early 2011 with 8Gb ram and an SSD. It started under Snow Leopard, and has been updated to Mountain Lion and Mavericks. It's never had any problems running hot, and I almost never hear the fan spool up during normal use. Now I hear it all the time.

I've watched the Activity Monitor to see if I could figure out what is happening. I see a huge amount of processor time being devoted to WindowServer, kernel_task, and Mail. After that, the cumulative time drops sharply.

I have also noticed that using the Chrome browser seems to set it off, which didn't happen under Mavericks.

Any idea with what is up with Yosemite to make it suddenly run so hot?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 23, 2014 9:01 AM

1 reply

Macbook running hot after Yosemite update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.