Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 2 quitting when doing photo edits

I am using Aperture 2 on my Late 2009 27" iMac. OS X 10.9.5 Maverick.

The application quits unexpectedly when making photo edits. (most noticeable if cropping the image). This problem seems to have only recently manifested. I hadn't been doing much editing until today with the new OS.

Is there a compatibility issue with Aperture 2 and Maverick 10.9.5?.

I'm at a loss as my Aperture library is big and I don't know how to move it to a new computer or newer version of Aperture easily.

Is it time to buy a new iMac / Photo edit software?

Thanks

JS

Posted on Oct 23, 2014 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2014 9:34 AM

Yes, there is. There have been compatibility issues with Aperture 2 since MacOS X 10.7 Lion came out. The last compatibility update Aperture 2.1.4 was for MacOS X 10.6.8. Snow leopard is the last MacOS X version, that supports Aperture 2 well. Yosemite is the fourth MacOS X upgrade, since Aperture has been replaced by Aperture 3.

If you like to work with Aperture, upgrade now to Aperture 3.5.1, if it is still available for you. That version is working very well with MacOS X 10.9.5, see this on upgrading: Aperture 3.5.1: Release notes

At the bottom of the lengthy list are notes on upgrading from earlier versions.

Only, you should be aware of the fact, that Apple has announced to stop the development of Aperture. The recent release for MacOS X 10.10 Yosemite well be the last Aperture version. The successor will be "Photos" for Mac and will be released early next year. Then it will be possible to migrate from Aperture to Photos. we do not know, if the migration from Aperture 2 will be supported however.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2014 9:34 AM in response to roverlr3

Yes, there is. There have been compatibility issues with Aperture 2 since MacOS X 10.7 Lion came out. The last compatibility update Aperture 2.1.4 was for MacOS X 10.6.8. Snow leopard is the last MacOS X version, that supports Aperture 2 well. Yosemite is the fourth MacOS X upgrade, since Aperture has been replaced by Aperture 3.

If you like to work with Aperture, upgrade now to Aperture 3.5.1, if it is still available for you. That version is working very well with MacOS X 10.9.5, see this on upgrading: Aperture 3.5.1: Release notes

At the bottom of the lengthy list are notes on upgrading from earlier versions.

Only, you should be aware of the fact, that Apple has announced to stop the development of Aperture. The recent release for MacOS X 10.10 Yosemite well be the last Aperture version. The successor will be "Photos" for Mac and will be released early next year. Then it will be possible to migrate from Aperture to Photos. we do not know, if the migration from Aperture 2 will be supported however.

Oct 23, 2014 11:20 AM in response to léonie

Thank you leonie.

What you say makes sense and seems to be accurate with what I have been experiencing.

I know it is not a corrupted file that I was working on, as pictures I've taken years ago react the same when editing with AP 2 on the OS 10.9.5

Could I migrate all my Aperture library to iPhoto easily? It seems that iPhoto has slowed down a lot since I upgraded operating systems from snow leopard to Maverick, thus why I'm hesitant to use iPhoto for editing. I am using an old version of iPhoto however. (09 8.1.2)

Jeff

Oct 23, 2014 12:03 PM in response to roverlr3

Both your Aperture version and iPhoto version are perfect for working with MacOS X 10.6.8, but nor for your current system. iPhoto 8.1.2 is also incompatible with Mavericks. You should be using iPhoto 9.5.1 for best performance. with iPhoto 8.1.2 you'll have similar problems.

Could I migrate all my Aperture library to iPhoto easily? It seems that iPhoto has slowed down a lot since I upgraded operating systems from snow leopard to Maverick, thus why I'm hesitant to use iPhoto for editing. I am using an old version of iPhoto however. (09 8.1.2)

Aperture and iPhoto are now compatible and can open each others libraries,but not the older versions you are using. To be able to use both iPhoto and Aperture on the same library you would need to use at least Aperture 3.3 and Photo 3.3., see: Aperture 3.3: Using a unified photo library with iPhoto and Aperture

For best performance upgrade to Aperture 3.5.1, if you want to continue a professional application, to CaptureOne, or Lightroom. Upgrading to aperture 3 would be the most seamless transit. If you want to migrate to a simpler application upgrade your iPhoto to 9.5.1, but you would have export your originals and edited versions separately from Aperture. Upgrading to Aperture 3 would save the lossless workflow.

Aperture 2 quitting when doing photo edits

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.