Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pandora battery drain after ios 8.1

I've been using Pandora for quite a long time. I usually leave 1 earbud in and stream music all during my work day.

This has historically used 30-50% of my battery during a 9.5 hour shift.

Since IOS 8.1, Pandora has gotten insanely battery hungry. Since 8.1, my battery generally dies around 4p.

After 4.5 hours of streaming today, my battery is at 48%. Typically, it would still be in the 60s-70s at this time.

Usage shows Pandora taking 69% of the battery power, so it's definitely something between IOS 8.1 and the Pandora App.

Note: I did not have this problem on *any* previous version of IOS. 8.0.2 worked just fine.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? The sole change was IOS 8.1, although I do not know if it's the culprit or Pandora.

Thanks for any insight..

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 23, 2014 10:27 AM

79 replies

Jul 21, 2017 10:10 AM in response to pairaducks

I have the same issue, however mine started happening after replacing my damaged iPhone 6 and not around the iOS update.

I recall a few years ago when i first got the 6 i had the same issue for about a month or so and then it just stopped.

If i kill all apps and then re-open pandora it will usually start working correctly again. I have found that if i make sure all apps are completely closed (double tap home button) then it will usually work ok. It seems as though there may be an issue with the iPhones ability to play pandora while other apps may be running in the background.

Seems to happen whether on WiFi or LTE.

This is not a pandora issue, but an Apple issue. there are no cases of this on Android phones.

Oct 28, 2014 10:54 PM in response to daddydev

Same here. Listened to Pandora on iPhone 6 on vacation while driving (up to 8 hours per day) no problem. Battery drain about same as with previous iPhone 5 (can actually listen for 7-8 hours without going below 30%).

Updated to 8.1 on Sunday, phone went from 100% at 7 a.m. to 50% 40 minutes later during my morning commute and when I picked up phone it was extremely hot to the touch.

I guess I don't get the "fix" that Pandora is working on (daddydev). shouldn't Apple be the ones working on the fix to their 8.1 update, not the app developer?

When I contacted Apple support, they seemed unaware of the problem. Maybe we are the only 4 iPhone owners who use Pandora? I don't think so.....

Oct 30, 2014 12:26 PM in response to pairaducks

I might have found a fix after playing around a bit, but will be curious if it helps others. I deleted the app from my phone, then did a reboot (home button + power). I then re installed the app from the Apple store. Now, for the past hour, my battery has only decreased by 2%. Also, the phone is not heating up like it was. Hopefully it continues, but so far so good.

Oct 30, 2014 1:05 PM in response to pairaducks

Same problem here. iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1, Pandora v. 5.6 (latest). I contacted Pandora and furnished all the technical information, including the iPhone screen shot of battery usage, both 24 hours and 7 days. They thanked me and forwarded to their engineering department, but have not heard back from them since.

In my case, I was using Pandora on the iPhone in my car. I started my trip with the battery at 67%, and after a little over an hour my iPhone shut off. The battery had died, and the iPhone was very warm to the touch. Thinking this was a fluke, I tried it again a week later, starting at 98% battery. I checked it after an hour and found the iPhone warm to the touch again, and the battery at 48%. I've since quit using Pandora on my iPhone. My older devices are not running iOS 8 so no issues there.

Oct 30, 2014 6:30 PM in response to Foxallan

Apple Support had me reset my iPhone 6 (8.1), wiping all data, then charging to full charge, leaving it sit for a few hours, then reinstalling everything from the iCloud backup I did just before the reset. Phone has worked beautifully since. Long drive with Pandora/Bluetooth running - no further heating problems or excessive battery drain. In fact, better life seemed improved today.

Oct 31, 2014 7:00 AM in response to 3riversports

Unfortunately, looks like the problem re-appeared after a night on the charger. Just this morning, after playing through 3 songs, the battery dropped fast, and the phone was heating up again. I removed it again, rebooted, and re-installed again, and it seems to be working again. Definitely not going to be doing this everyday though.

I'm curious if grejon1 is still OK after his reset, and a day of use.

Time to try Spotify, I believe.

Oct 31, 2014 8:19 AM in response to pairaducks

I uninstalled the app yesterday, rebooted and reinstalled and it's working normally today.

I played Pandora a bit late yesterday afternoon and charged it last night.

Pandora still working normally today.

I will post again if it resumes the battery drain behavior, but so far, it's been fine.

iPhone 5s

Apple Earbuds

Streaming over WIFI

Bluetooth is enabled, but not used in my office. (My murano has Bluetooth hands-free voice calls, but not audio streaming.. )

Pandora battery drain after ios 8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.