Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.1 camera roll - duplicate photos when connected to iTunes/iPhoto?

Since the 8.1 update, every time I connect my phone to iTunes - on both an iMac and a Powerbook - my camera roll photos / new pictures taken with my phone show up in duplicate in the iPhoto import screen. When I import only (1) of the photos, they both then disappear from the "new photos" section of the iPhone import screen in iPhoto. Is anyone else encountering this? Any ideas on how to stop it from happening? Thanks!

Posted on Oct 23, 2014 12:51 PM

13 replies

Dec 26, 2014 2:57 PM in response to dominique.joseph

That is a very risky setting.

This default setting "Importing: Copy items to the photo library" is there for a very good reason. If you uncheck it, iPhoto will not import the original images into the iPhoto library. They will stay - unprotected - in their original location, and iPhoto is referencing them there. If you accidentally delete the originals from that folder, iPhoto can no longer edit or export your photos and you have lost them for good. Also, if you ever need to move your iPhoto library to a new drive or restore the library from a backup, iPhoto has no tools to support this, if the originals are referenced. And sooner or later you will have to replace your drive or restore from a backup. Don't recommend this option without pointing out the risks as well, because importing this way cannot be undone.

Dec 26, 2014 3:10 PM in response to dominique.joseph

No problem. Do you remember, which events you imported with the "Importing: Copy items to the photo library" option disabled?

Then check, if the original photos can still be found. Select one of the photos and use the command "File > Reveal in Finder > Original".

If the photos can still be found, export them from iPhoto to folders on your Desktop, check, if the export is complete, delete the events you imported with the option disabled, and then import them again this time with "Importing: Copy items to the photo library" active.

Feb 24, 2015 10:43 AM in response to bazapple

I was able to solve it by doing the following:

iPhone: restart, hard reset (home + lock button)

This did not yet solve my problem

iPhone

- Settings > iCloud > Photos: turn off iCloud Photo Library, My Photo Stream, Upload Burst Photos

- Settings > Photos & Camera: same as above. Should already be off but double check.

This did not yet solve my problem

iPhoto:

- iPhoto > Preferences > iCloud: uncheck My Photo Stream

This solved my problem!!

I put the rest of the steps that I took in case it had something to do with the otheres also (still) being turned off. This is a one time fix, and it seems like others have temporarily solved it, only to have it reappear. So, there you have it!

My Hardware:

2009 Mac Pro

- OSX 10.10.2

- iPhoto 9.6

- Setting: My Photo Stream is OFF in settings

iPhone 6

- iOS 8.1.3

- Setting: My Photo Stream is OFF in settings

- Setting: Keep Normal Photo is also OFF

I will probably reenable all of My Photo Stream on both my MBP and iPhone 6 after I import.

Here's to hoping this gets resolved in iOS 8.2!

Apr 15, 2015 6:19 AM in response to bazapple

Hello. I get duplicate identical photos in my iPhoto import window when I attempt to import photos from my iPhone 6 (version 8.1.3) into iPhoto (version 9.6). The iPhone photos camera role only shows one photo, but two appear in my iPhoto new photos import window and after import both identical photos appear in my new iPhoto event file. In the Settings app, Photos and Camera, HDR, I get the same duplicates with the Keep Normal Photo button on and off. I have also tried it with the Camera HDR off, HDR on, and HDR auto. I get duplicate photos in the iPhoto import window with all these settings. None of the photos have previously been imported to iPhoto. Help appreciated. Thank you.

iOS 8.1 camera roll - duplicate photos when connected to iTunes/iPhoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.