Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New to Photo stream - Questions???

Hi! I am new to photo stream and have some questions:

1) In aperture there is now a header called ICLOUD in addition to a folder called OCTOBER 2014 PhotoStream

Is it safe to assume that OCT folder is a permanent import of my photos (that will not go away in 30 days)? And that the pics under ICLOUD are the ones that will refresh in 30 days? (If the OCT folder is not a permanent import, how do I make them permanent in that folder?)

2) Organization and deleting photos in Photostream: Using aperture, Pics from phone go to ICLOUD and OCTOBER 2014 as stated above. If I want to delete a photo from all places (phone, iCloud Photo stream and October 2014 Photo stream) where do I do it so I only have to delete it once vs. in every folder? It would be much easier to be able to do it in Aperture (either from iCloud Photostream or October 2014) vs. my phone.

I have heard that with Photos OSX you will have access to more than the last 30 days of pics (but rather All Photos). (I realize I would need to buy storage plan for this) Does anyone know if this Is this correct? I'd like to not have to cart my macbook pro around in order to access ALL of my photos (I am a food blogger and may need access to photos older than 30 days when traveling and writing from out of town).

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 23, 2014 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2014 3:26 PM

1) In aperture there is now a header called ICLOUD in addition to a folder called OCTOBER 2014 PhotoStream

Is it safe to assume that OCT folder is a permanent import of my photos (that will not go away in 30 days)? And that the pics under ICLOUD are the ones that will refresh in 30 days? (If the OCT folder is not a permanent import, how do I make them permanent in that folder?)

The monthly projects OCT 2014 PhotoStream, etc. are permanent imports. They will be created, if you enable the Preference "iCloud > My Photo Stream > Automatic Import".

Generally, every image you are seeing in a project has been imported to the Aperture library and is saved.

If I want to delete a photo from all places (phone, iCloud Photo stream and October 2014 Photo stream) where do I do it so I only have to delete it once vs. in every folder? I

That is not (yet) possible, if you have automatic download enabled. If you take a photo on your iPhone, it will be stored locally in the Camera Roll, and immediately upload to iCloud. Then it will be downloaded to your Mac. You have to delete it from all three places. You can save one deletion, if you first weed out photos you do not want from the photo stream and manually download the ones you want from My Photo stream.

Early next year you will be able to have all photos in one place in iCloud Photo Photo Library. Then it will suffice to delete photos from one place and have it synced to all devices.

I have heard that with Photos OSX you will have access to more than the last 30 days of pics (but rather All Photos). (I realize I would need to buy storage plan for this) Does anyone know if this Is this correct? I'd like to not have to cart my macbook pro around in order to access ALL of my photos (I am a food blogger and may need access to photos older than 30 days when traveling and writing from out of town).

It is not yet clear, how iCloud Photo Library Beta will work on a Mac.

See the help from the iCloud web page > Photos page:

iCloud Photo Library beta automatically stores every photo and video you take and gives you access to your entire library on all your devices. Because iCloud Photo Library beta keeps original photos and videos in iCloud, you can choose to keep device optimized versions on your devices, helping you make the most of the space on your device. It also uploads your edits and the way you organize things so everything in your library looks familiar on all your devices.

On your iPad/iPhone you can save space by string only optimised versions of your Photos, but all photos will have a local copy.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2014 3:26 PM in response to CCAPPL

The monthly projects OCT 2014 PhotoStream, etc. are permanent imports. They will be created, if you enable the Preference "iCloud > My Photo Stream > Automatic Import".

Generally, every image you are seeing in a project has been imported to the Aperture library and is saved.

If I want to delete a photo from all places (phone, iCloud Photo stream and October 2014 Photo stream) where do I do it so I only have to delete it once vs. in every folder? I

That is not (yet) possible, if you have automatic download enabled. If you take a photo on your iPhone, it will be stored locally in the Camera Roll, and immediately upload to iCloud. Then it will be downloaded to your Mac. You have to delete it from all three places. You can save one deletion, if you first weed out photos you do not want from the photo stream and manually download the ones you want from My Photo stream.

Early next year you will be able to have all photos in one place in iCloud Photo Photo Library. Then it will suffice to delete photos from one place and have it synced to all devices.

It is not yet clear, how iCloud Photo Library Beta will work on a Mac.

See the help from the iCloud web page > Photos page:

iCloud Photo Library beta automatically stores every photo and video you take and gives you access to your entire library on all your devices. Because iCloud Photo Library beta keeps original photos and videos in iCloud, you can choose to keep device optimized versions on your devices, helping you make the most of the space on your device. It also uploads your edits and the way you organize things so everything in your library looks familiar on all your devices.

On your iPad/iPhone you can save space by string only optimised versions of your Photos, but all photos will have a local copy.

Oct 27, 2014 11:07 AM in response to CCAPPL

So, as it turns out iCloud photos dropped shortly after I made this post. Now I have another point of confusion. My photo stream in aperture is still working (for now) but I'm noticing not ALL of my pics are being uploaded since I turned on iCloud photos. For instance, I took about 10 pictures the other day of one subject and only 5 are showing up. Prior to this all would have shown up?

Coincidence? Not sure so I thought I would put it out to you Leonie?

I did set my IOS8 settings to upload the higher res photos to the cloud and leave lower res on my phone but that shouldn't affect this.

Please help. Thanks! :-)

Oct 27, 2014 1:55 PM in response to CCAPPL

For instance, I took about 10 pictures the other day of one subject and only 5 are showing up. Prior to this all would have shown up?

You are asking about streaming from your mobile devices to your Mac, right? Have your photos been burst shots? Then check your settings: iCloud: Photo Stream FAQ

Also, videos will not upload using Photo Stream. You have not accidentally taken photos in video mode?

Are all of the photos taken with burst mode on my iPhone 5s or later saved to My Photo Stream?

When you take photos using burst mode, only your favorite photos are imported to your device. In iOS 7.1 or later, you can choose to save all photos you take using burst mode to My Photo Stream. Tap Settings > iCloud > Photos, and turn on Upload Burst Photos.

Generally, the photo stream will only upload from your mobile devices,

• if you not have exceeded limits (iCloud: Photo Stream limits)
  • If your device is properly charged
  • If you are connected to Wi-Fi
  • If you have closed the Camera.app.

Oct 31, 2014 10:31 AM in response to léonie

Hi There! Thanks again for your expertise.

No burst photos - I did use filters but that hasn't seemed to be a problem. Just strangely not there.

I was able to get them by plugging in my iPhone and uploading to aperture.

I know all of this will be resolved once photo stream goes away and Photos for OS X comes. I just hope it's as good as Aperture!!! Aperture is so easy and the downside of iCloud is that at least on my macbook air, I cannot just drag a photo from iCloud Photos Beta into my twitter post (for instance). I can do that with Aperture. I know there are other ways, but it was easy before.

I will keep all of these things in mind. Thanks!

Generally, the photo stream will only upload from your mobile devices,

• if you not have exceeded limits (iCloud: Photo Stream limits)
  • If your device is properly charged
  • If you are connected to Wi-Fi
  • If you have closed the Camera.app.

P.S. I didn't realize vids would not upload on Photostream - I assume that IS NOT the case for iCloud Beta?

New to Photo stream - Questions???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.