Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to download purchased music to different device?

I'm relatively new to all this. I have a Nano, an older iPod Touch, and a recently bought iPhone5s. First, in "my music" on my computer, I can see the Nano & iPod but not the iPhone music. I also realized that I don't need music on the phone; just put it all on the iPod and eliminate contacts, notes, etc. Before this revelation, I bought some music which wound up on my iPhone. How the devil can I get it on the iPod & Nano? Also, there's music on the Nano & iPhone that I want to put on the iPod. This shouldn't be this difficult. I understand why some people have said in frustration, "So long Apple, hello new device..."

Any simple, non-jargon help would be deeply appreciated. I've been all through the iTunes and iPhone help pages and they're as helpful as warts.

Thanks.

Posted on Oct 23, 2014 12:45 PM

2 replies

Oct 23, 2014 1:13 PM in response to Community User

If you have iTunes purchased music on your phone and then you should be able to copy it over to your computer's iTunes library by connecting the phone to it and using the File > Devices > Transfer Purchases menu option - and similarly to copy iTunes purchases music from the Nano. If you have more than one device connected to iTunes at the same time then you might need to select the device in iTunes for the Transfer Purchases menu option to be active, otherwise iTunes won't know which device that you are wanting to copy content from (and therefore possibly disable the menu option).

For getting the music onto your iPod Touch, connect it to your computer and select it on your computer's iTunes - with the current version of iTunes, iTunes 12, you should (when a device is connected) get a 'device' icon at the top left of the iTunes screen next to the icons for the different types of iTunes content that you have in your library (music, films, apps etc).

e.g. this is what I see for my iPad (the blue icon at the top right to may partial screenshot is the 'device' icon, which is blue because I've selected it) - hopefully my screenshot will show, but there is a bug affecting images on these forums.

User uploaded file

Select Music under Settings on that left-hand side of your iTunes, and on the right-hand side of the iTunes screen you should be able to select which of your iTunes music to have on the iPod.

Syncing with iTunes : Sync your iPhone, iPad and iPod with iTunes using USB.

And similarly for syncing music to the Nano.

Oct 24, 2014 9:33 AM in response to King_Penguin

Thanks for quick answer. I plugged in my iPhone & transfered all purchases--where they went I have no idea--and it included all apps. Don't know if music transfered. But when I plugged in the iPod and pressed music, I got the option to Synch music which would erase one library and replace it with another. No music was listed. But I went forward and did the synch. Some of the purchased music made it to the iPod but not older music. I don't know why Apple can't use ordinary language. So then I went to the detailed synching and checked off everything. There is still music listed as "my music" that never made it onto the iPod. What a pain!

How to download purchased music to different device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.