Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my macbook unibody fails to boot after chime

hi, when i press power button, i hear the start up sound, but nothing appears on my screen. it is completely black,no cursor,nothing. i tried to safe boot, and boot with command +R, and booting while pressing down options key. none of them worked. i thought my screen is dead but my brightness keys work, it changes from a complete black to a lighter black. what should i do?

MacBook

Posted on Oct 23, 2014 1:15 PM

11 replies

Oct 23, 2014 1:46 PM in response to telin82

Does Verbose mode (Command+V) work? What year/model is the Mac? If you hold the D key when booting, does Apple Hardware Test (Using Apple Hardware Test ) start?

Startup key combinations for Intel-based Macs

Can you reset SMC and NVRAM?

Do you have second Mac?

Do you hear any sounds - Mac computers: About startup tones ? You may have to un-mute/raise the volume.

Oct 23, 2014 2:20 PM in response to telin82

Did you Mac come with "Grey" disks? If yes, the second Grey disk should have AHT for your specific model, that you can boot from and test hardware.

If the "bad" Mac can be power-cycled while holding the T key, it will go in Target Disk Mode. The MBA 2014 will need a TB-to-FW adapter and a cable to see the MB as a hard disk on the MBA.

Oct 23, 2014 3:30 PM in response to telin82

If you the exact model number of your Mac, you can look here for AHT code - https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest. You will still need a DVD/CD burner and be able to boot your Mac for AHT to work.

If you power cycle and hold the T key, do you see a floating Firewire symbol? If yes, then you do not need the disks, but a FW/TB adapter and appropriate cable to connect to the MBA 2014 and see what is visible on your disk.

What year/model is the Mac? If it is unibody aluminum, it is fairly recent.

Oct 26, 2014 6:38 AM in response to telin82

There are known GPU issues with 2010 and 2011 models. I had AppleCare and had the logic board replaced due to GPU issues on a 2.53 2010 15" MBP/nVidia GT330m for screen corruption. 2011 have AMD GPUs which have their own set of challenges for mother-board soldering, etc. You may want to research a bit and check for options that you might have.

my macbook unibody fails to boot after chime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.