Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse stops working under Yosemite

(Cross-posting from Magic Mouse stops working under Yosemite)

Since upgrading to Yosemite, I've been experiencing an issue where occasionally the Magic Mouse stops working. I sit there and turn it off, turn it back on, sit there and click the mouse and move it around, but it doesn't connect to the computer. I go into the Bluetooth Preferences and unpair it, but it doesn't show up on the list of devices and so I can't re-pair it. Turning the Bluetooth off and then back on doesn't make it show up. So far, the only thing that seems to help is to restart the computer completely.

Has anyone else been experiencing this problem?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 23, 2014 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2014 4:12 AM

Mine too, also since Y10.10 upgrade. Mine reconnects a few seconds later but its still very annoying.

38 replies

Oct 24, 2014 8:47 AM in response to mikaey

I have the same issue with my Magic Trackpad. It seems to only happen when I put my laptop to sleep and then open it back up later. Then my Trackpad won't connect and the only solution is to reboot. I have tried deleting it from my bluetooth devices, rebooting, and repairing it, but still happened again today. Please help Apple!!

Oct 30, 2014 4:58 AM in response to mikaey

I just got a new iMac with 5K Retina display and the same thing happens.

When the computer sleeps the keyboard and mouse won't reactivate it. So I press the power button and it comes on instantly. But from then onward, until I reboot, the Magic Mouse scrolling functions, and wireless keyboard special buttons (volume, screen brightness, media controls) no longer work.

Hopefully there will be a fix for this soon!

Nov 27, 2014 9:04 AM in response to mikaey

I had to restart my MBPR 15 (early 2013) OS X 10.10.1 when my mouse started to not connect. My problem was every time I came back to work the mouse would not connected until I restart. But when I turned the wifi on and off like mikaey suggested, then my magic mouse was magic again, lol. I wonder if the software engineers at Apple will look into why when you turn the wifi on and off; that makes the bluetooth mouse work again?

Nov 30, 2014 9:01 AM in response to mikaey

I'm in the same boat. Lost power and had to restart. MM gestures work but only if I bring up a new Safari window. If I try to "back page" with a swipe, the gestures all lock up. Two finger gestures are unresponsive completely. Got kind of spotty when I went to Yosemite, but now I'm back to menus and buttons. God I'm spoiled.

Jan 5, 2015 3:23 AM in response to mikaey

I've experienced similar loss of 'clicking' e.g. the mouse keeps moving around fine but the clicking has no effect.

Since the keyboard still functions, I found a workaround that's a little less tedious than a forced hardware shut down:

I press <SHIFT> <CMD> Q (shift, command, Q keys) to do a LOGOUT. When I LOGIN, the magic mouse is back to normal

Jan 7, 2015 7:08 PM in response to mikaey

I have... I have a brand new Macbook Pro 15", 16GB, 512SSD. Reset everything, repaired it with the MB.... Then

Double check any other computers in your house. It had been paired with another Mac at one time, and so it would get it first.

Would be nice if there was a hard reset in the Trackpad itself (hold power for 10seconds, light blinks in some long short pattern) that remove ALL pairings so you could start back to the one machine you wanted it paired with.

But, until then, Walk around and check if you're moving someone else's mouse cursor 😀

Magic Mouse stops working under Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.