Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport express router giving low download speeds

I am having trouble with my Airport express router giving low download speeds.

I recently upgraded to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and have 100 Mb/second service via a cable modem from Cox. When I connect my laptop to the cable modem directly with a 4 foot Ethernet cable, I get approximately 100 Mbps download speeds as tested by speed test.com. When I connect the cable modem directly to the Apple express router with the same 4 foot Ethernet cable, I am getting download speeds that have averaged approximately 16 Mbps over the last dozen download tests over a several hours.

I thought the AirPort Express was capable of providing speeds up to 100 Mbps. I realize that there will be some loss of speed from the advertised maximum value when going from a cable modem to Wi-Fi, but download speeds that are approximately 16% of the advertised maximum value seems pathologically low to me.

My Airport express router is model #A1392. My Airport utility is version 6.3.2 and the version on the router icon is 7.6.4. The cable modem is a Touchstone SB6182. My laptop supports 802.11 a/b/g/n.

Ultimately, I need the cable modem to drive the airport express, an AT&T microcell tower, a desktop computer with an Ethernet connection and an Ethernet adapter plugged into a 110 V outlet that is used to provide the Internet connection to my main TV.

PowerBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 23, 2014 2:57 PM

2 replies

Oct 23, 2014 3:48 PM in response to ADmartin1953

The express should do better than 16Mbps but only on 5ghz. And that means close.. you will need to have the laptop within patch cable range of the Express.. (a good idea btw is to buy another patch cable and test the speed by ethernet).

The Express though is not adequate as the 6182 is a pure modem from the looks of it.. You really need the Extreme.. or other model.. which have much higher speed ports as well as hugely superior wireless.

You are trying to make silk purse out of the sow's ear.. it is much easier to go out and buy the silk purse.. ie a router that is capable of the job.

Express is mainly intended as wireless extender and for airplay.. not as main router esp for high speed service. It will never be more than barely adequate no matter what you do.

Airport express router giving low download speeds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.