Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Final Cut Express 4.0.1 work in Yosemite?

So I'm on Mavericks and wanting to move up to Yosemite, and just about every application I need to work is compatible with Yosemite, but I'm still not getting a solid answer on one, which is Final Cut Express.

Basically, I don't want to use the money to upgrade to the new Final Cut and I also much prefer the old interface of FCE after using Final Cut Pro X on other computers quite a bit. If I'm forced to, I will, but I'd love to hold on to FCE 4 as long as possible until it's killed off. So I'm just wondering if anyone out there knows if it works on Yosemite or not.

I've got a late 2009 iMac, 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo 2 processor, 12 GB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB graphics card, and I'm running on the latest version of Mavericks (10.9.5). Yeah, I'm eventually gonna need to upgrade to a new computer, hahahaha

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 23, 2014 11:27 PM

19 replies

Oct 27, 2014 10:53 AM in response to gwilly97

Hi , I have iMac 2009, and FCE 4:01 Was on Maverick and downloaded Yosemite as soon as it came out. Shock! Wanted to open my work on FCE and it didn't let me in .. asked for serial # and still din't work. Called Apple support and got a wonderful person on the other end of line who explained that FCE (their fault it seems) can not operate on Yosemite, because it -> FCE needs to update themselves to follow Yosemite's "evolution". I had a choice to go back or find different editing app. All my work for last 5or 6 years has been on FCE!!! The Apple man was very very kind and helped me ->for two days to get back to Maverick via Lion (because I din't have Maverick saved - my fault). I had some losses on my webpage and contacts, but my FCE projects have been saved. It is incredible shock to experience. And it is frightening to think that probably soon this great editing app will become unusable.

by the way - I liked the "look" of Yosemite ... but hey ..... not on account of losing my main work tool!

Hope this helps?

Nada

Oct 30, 2014 5:27 AM in response to gwilly97

I'm doing some simple work with FCE (on Yosemite) like transferring old video tapes to archive them but it works. I am doing some editing, adding audio and video effects and exporting to Quicktime.

The only quirk I'm noticing right now are some window refresh problems. The tools and audio meters windows disappear for no apparent reason but I have a workaround. I toggle them off and on again in the Window Menu.

Nov 2, 2014 5:55 PM in response to gwilly97

I have been using FCE HD with mixed results. I am finding that when I export or import I am finding that the file system dialog box just closes after a few seconds and I can't export unless I am really fast and hit the export button before the dialog box disappears on me. I am running it on a 2012 Mac Mini with a upgrade fusion drive. When I run FCE on my 2010 Macbook Pro with Yosemite, it works fine. Any of you guys run into this and if you have what did you do to rectify? I suppose that I could upgrade to the new Final Cut, but don't want to shell out 300 bucks yet.

Nov 2, 2014 5:56 PM in response to gwilly97

I have been using FCE HD with mixed results. I am finding that when I export or import I am finding that the file system dialog box just closes after a few seconds and I can't export unless I am really fast and hit the export button before the dialog box disappears on me. I am running it on a 2012 Mac Mini with an upgraded fusion drive. When I run FCE on my 2010 Macbook Pro with Yosemite, it works fine. Any of you guys run into this and if you have what did you do to rectify? I suppose that I could upgrade to the new Final Cut, but don't want to shell out 300 bucks yet.

Nov 22, 2014 5:39 PM in response to Sgt.Swift

You know, I have FCE installed on my MacBook Pro with Yosemite and I don't have the same problem as the Mac Mini, and I don't have Google Drive installed on the Macbook Pro. Have you every used the app call AppCleaner? I use it to uninstall software completely. You may want to install Google Drive, install AppCleaner and then use AppCleaner to uninstall Google Drive. Try that and see if it works.

Nov 30, 2014 2:52 AM in response to gwilly97

The easiest and safest way to test Yosemite (or any other OS) is to open Disk Utility and create a small partition (25GB) on your internal hard drive (or a spare one).

You can then download and install Yosemite on that partition to test whether your favourite apps still work OK.

Your Mac will have dual-boot capability and whenever you start up you can select which OS to open.

When you are satisfied that your apps work with Yosemite you can delete the small partition and install Yosemite normally.

WARNING !

Whilst this procedure is normally perfectly safe, it is always prudent to have everything backed up.

Does Final Cut Express 4.0.1 work in Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.