Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I get emailed receipts with apple pay?

iPad 3G, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Oct 24, 2014 6:12 AM

17 replies

Feb 26, 2017 10:05 AM in response to wiseowl99

wiseowl99 wrote:

I need receipts for my taxes. I want a streamlined paperless process. Somebody will figure that out. I guarantee it.

Wave your phone, done. Including a detailed digital receipt. Apple?

Hi

You are not talking to Apple here - this is a user-based technical support community.

If you need a receipt, you can ask for one from the merchant, just as would when paying via credit or debit card.

If you would like to submit suggestions to Apple regarding Apple Pay, you can do so here:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-pay.html

Aug 31, 2017 7:48 AM in response to lkrupp

Even so, why can't Apple generate an itemized receipt? Square sends me a detailed receipt. Sure, I could use Square. That's always an option, but I am choosing to use Apple Pay. That sales data has to be communicated to Apple in some way shape or form. If it's not, perhaps it could/should. Listing only the last four transactions and a dollar value seems inadequate. If Apple really wants to get people to use their payment method, they should expound upon their receipts.

Perhaps, like Square, Apple should work with the retailers to incorporate detailed receipts into their transactions. It seems somewhat shortsighted. Hence, the request for a system improvement.

I could always ask the retailer for a paper receipt, but the whole point is to eliminate the need to carry a debit/credit card and a pocket full of paper receipts.

If my child uses Apple Pay ten times in a day, the only thing that I am told about their purchases is the dollar value and where they went shopping -- on the last four transactions. What if I want to look at what they're purchasing. I don't want to get into a discussion about trusting them or their buying habits. That's not the meat of the conversation.

The end game is to assist the purchaser with the details of their transactions -- not just facilitate them.

Oct 26, 2014 4:17 PM in response to Scifer37

Apple is the middle man here and is not your retailer. It’s up to your retailer to provide a receipt, not Apple. Apple Pay doesn’t see a receipt, it doesn’t see your account, it only processes the payment exchange. I don’t understand why you seem to think Apple controls anything other than the payment. It’s your retailer or your bank that should be doing this.

Oct 27, 2014 8:59 AM in response to lkrupp

Agreed. Apple is not the retailer but they are capturing all of the receipt info to be passed to the credit card company.

In similar vein, Uber provides a receipt after using their car service -- granted they are not only the processor but the retailer / service provider.

In any case, it's not an unreasonable request to Apple to provide a receipt view or email. If there is a concern over cost, then Apple should charge an annual fee for receipt / email service.

Aug 15, 2016 8:23 AM in response to rainylin

Note that Apple Pay has strong privacy measures built-in. Payment transactions are between you, the merchant and your bank / card issuer. Apple does not store the details of your transactions.

For example:

• If you pay in a store, Apple doesn't collect any transaction information that can be tied back to you (if Location Services are turned on, Apple may receive limited anonymous data).
  • If you pay within an app, Apple Pay only retains anonymous information (which doesn't even include the exact purchase amount).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.