Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I open AAE files in Yosemite?

Hi. Just back from a trip. I downloaded some photo files from a family member while traveling. I guess I

upgraded to Yosemite and can't read many of them because they are AAE files.

How can I convert them or read them?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 24, 2014 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2014 1:28 PM

I guess I upgraded to Yosemite and can't read many of them because they are AAE files.

The .AAE files are not image files. They are sidecar files with metadata. Afaik, the Photos.app in iOS 8 on the iPhone is creating them, but the matching Photos.app on the Mac that would understand them is still missing. Keep the AEE files, until the Photos.app for Mac will come out. Hopefully it will be able to read these sidecar files.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/apple-using-new-aae-sidecar-forma t-for-ios-8-photos/

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2014 1:28 PM in response to bludoor

I guess I upgraded to Yosemite and can't read many of them because they are AAE files.

The .AAE files are not image files. They are sidecar files with metadata. Afaik, the Photos.app in iOS 8 on the iPhone is creating them, but the matching Photos.app on the Mac that would understand them is still missing. Keep the AEE files, until the Photos.app for Mac will come out. Hopefully it will be able to read these sidecar files.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/apple-using-new-aae-sidecar-forma t-for-ios-8-photos/

Oct 26, 2014 2:55 AM in response to bludoor

To see the content of AEE files you can open them with a simple text editor. Use for instance TextEdit in applications folder of your mac. Simply drag the files over the textedit icon or use the "Open..." option from the File menu while in TextEdit. I guess this would be similar with NotePad on a PC.

Oct 26, 2014 4:55 AM in response to jpac

Use for instance TextEdit in applications folder of your mac. Simply drag the files over the textedit icon or use the "Open..." option from the File menu while in TextEdit. I guess this would be similar with NotePad on a PC.

Yes, that will work partly. I used Text Edit to show the XML content of the file in my linked post. But it will only show some of the meta data and not show the adjustment; that are binary data. And it will not open the image with the metadata and adjustments applied. We need a program, that will open the pair .AAE and .JPEG, and apply the metadata and adjustments to the JPEG file.

Dec 1, 2014 9:38 AM in response to 1lefsa4

Forget about the AAE files for now.

When importing photos from iOS 8 to your Mac:

– Importing them with 'Image Capture' will give you the original photos

– Importing them with 'AirDrop' will give you the edited photos.

So you can have both versions on the Mac should you so desire.

And we will need twice the storage. With iOS 7 I could transfer photos with filters applied losslessly to Aperture and iPhoto. The edited photo was transferred and I could toggle the iOS filter on and off in Aperture's adjustment tab. The photo was transferred as Master-Version pair. That was much better than having to stack the edited and the original.

How can I open AAE files in Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.