Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prompted to Log in Twice to OS X Yosemite

Hello All,

Maybe you have had this issue with other OS X upgrades, but I'm being prompted to log in twice to my MacBook Pro OS X Yosemite (2014 model).

I've upgraded to Yosemite, without any issues, until I noticed that after turning my computer on and logging in the first time, I see a progress bar load.....then the screen goes black, I hear the restart sound, then the same login screen appears for a second time.

I then enter my credentials a second time, see the progress bar load (a little faster this time), them my desktop appears like normal.

I've read some other, older, posts for older OS X builds but none of them addressed the issue completely.

I've turned OFF filevault, to decrypt my HD, restarted and things seemed okay (1 log in request only). So I turned filevault back on, and the first time I logged in, it worked fine (1 log in request only). However, now, after powering off the computer, I'm back to where I started....2 log in requests before my desktop loads properly.

I don't have the time out setting on "to request password after 60min". Filevault is on and my drive is encrypted. No special software loads, just the factory basics...

Any insights or suggestions?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 24, 2014 9:50 AM

21 replies

Oct 27, 2014 11:44 AM in response to MacBookPro0987

The reason that it is asking you to enter your password twice is because the 1st request is to unlock/decrypt/mount the hard drive and the 2nd request is to log into your account. So if you want to have a single request then see this Apple support article, it has instructions to enable or disable the automatic log in.

OS X: How to disable automatic login when FileVault is enabled

On machine with multiple accounts, you definitely do not want to do this. For example, my Mac has an admin account, a non-admin/standard account (for me), and another non-admin/standard account (for my daughter). When I enabled FV, only the admin has the ability to unlock the disk. So when the Mac starts up after a reboot, I enter the admin account password to unlock and mount the hard drive, then it goes into the user log in screeen. At this point, my daughter and I can log in using our own accounts.

Oct 27, 2014 1:00 PM in response to hau328

Okay this is helpful information, but I'm not sure my problem is solved.

I do have multiple users so automatic login sounds like it's not an option. Also, with FileVault enabled, automatic login shows that it is disabled...

What interesting to me is I had FileVault enabled, and had multiple users, while using Mavericks and was only prompted to login once. Since updating to Yosemite, I now have to log in twice (once it appears to unlock the disk, and another to log into my account). Apple is this just how it goes? or is there a setting I can enable to log in only once?

Mar 24, 2015 8:55 AM in response to MacBookPro0987

I'm just now encountering this issue. I recently changed my login password, and directly after that my 2014 Macbook Pro has been prompting me to put in my old and new passwords to login to my computer. I have never seen this before until now. I sent feedback to Apple about the problem.

And in my case, my screen does not go black and my computer does not re-initiate the restart sequence. It simply asks me for my old password, then when answered correctly asks me for my new password, then logs me in when answered. No other screens, sounds, or pauses appear.

Prompted to Log in Twice to OS X Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.