Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

running ubuntu on the 5k imac

Is there support for running ubuntu on the new 5k 27 inch imac, i need to run closed source code that was compiled on linux, so won't run on mac OS and i can't recompile it, my questions is

a) is it possible to run ubuntu on the new 5k imac (so does the graphics card support it, are there any driver issues, can it output to the screen etc)

b) if so is it possible to run at the native 5k resolution (unlikely i know but would be nice)

i don't plan on getting the graphics card upgrade, just the base AMD one

iMac with Retina 5K display, Other OS

Posted on Oct 24, 2014 10:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2017 12:15 PM

A little late perhaps (this is 2017), but for all who come subsequently, you can install Ubuntu 16.04 (LTS) from a usb stick on a 5k iMac if you boot it, edit the grub entry (press "e" key) when entry comes up, and add "nomodeset" as a boot parameter on the line containing "quiet splash". This will allow you to run Ubuntu and install it, but you won't have control over the resolution and window movement will be a bit slow and jerky. However, this can be fixed if you then install the AMDGPU-Pro driver (currently version 17.40) on your installation. Once you do this, you no longer need the nomodeset parameter to boot, you have control over the resolution, and window movement is smooth. However, even then you only get 4k, not 5k resolution on you iMac. Apparently 5k resolution is only possible through the Mac OS; even Windows won't give it to you. Incidentally, you can install Ubuntu 17.10 on a 5k iMac, but the AMD driver won't work with it, so better to stick with 16.04, at least until the next LTS is released. Alternatively, use Linux Mint 18.3, which for some reason doesn't require the installation of the AMDGPU-Pro driver to operate smoothly. Once it is installed, it just works, at least the Cinnamon version works for me on my Late 2015 27" iMac. I also found that the 4.8 kernel installed by Mint works great, but updating to the 4.10 kernel does not. Note that my experience is based on the Late 2015 model with the 2gb Radeon card (R9 M395).

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2017 12:15 PM in response to Rgp10

A little late perhaps (this is 2017), but for all who come subsequently, you can install Ubuntu 16.04 (LTS) from a usb stick on a 5k iMac if you boot it, edit the grub entry (press "e" key) when entry comes up, and add "nomodeset" as a boot parameter on the line containing "quiet splash". This will allow you to run Ubuntu and install it, but you won't have control over the resolution and window movement will be a bit slow and jerky. However, this can be fixed if you then install the AMDGPU-Pro driver (currently version 17.40) on your installation. Once you do this, you no longer need the nomodeset parameter to boot, you have control over the resolution, and window movement is smooth. However, even then you only get 4k, not 5k resolution on you iMac. Apparently 5k resolution is only possible through the Mac OS; even Windows won't give it to you. Incidentally, you can install Ubuntu 17.10 on a 5k iMac, but the AMD driver won't work with it, so better to stick with 16.04, at least until the next LTS is released. Alternatively, use Linux Mint 18.3, which for some reason doesn't require the installation of the AMDGPU-Pro driver to operate smoothly. Once it is installed, it just works, at least the Cinnamon version works for me on my Late 2015 27" iMac. I also found that the 4.8 kernel installed by Mint works great, but updating to the 4.10 kernel does not. Note that my experience is based on the Late 2015 model with the 2gb Radeon card (R9 M395).

Feb 16, 2018 8:03 AM in response to AugustDiPierro

I'd like to help further, but I'm not familiar with DPMS. I know it stands for Display Power Management Signaling, but I have no idea if I'm using it or not. What I can tell you is that I do not have any problems with overheating or computer shutoff in Ubuntu 16.04 on my iMac, but perhaps nothing I do on it pushes the GPU very hard. (I don't work with heavy graphics and I'm not a gamer.)

Feb 26, 2018 10:20 AM in response to mfoxattrent

I have great news for those of you with a 5k iMac wishing to run Ubuntu on it. Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic Beaver) will use version 4.15 of the Linux kernel, and this kernel has vastly improved support for the newer AMD GPU's. I just downloaded the daily build and tried the live USB version on my Late 2015 iMac. It boots right up with the default Grub mode settings. Once booted up, the default open source AMDGPU is very functional. You get alternative monitor settings (I can verify that 2560x1440 works), and window movement is smooth!

For what it's worth, I also tried another live distro that is using the 4.15 kernel - openSUSE Tumbleweed. It also boots right up from the live USB, gives alternate monitor settings, and window movement is smooth. For whatever reason, though, the alternative monitor settings weren't very functional, at lease from the live USB. The 2560x1440 setting does change the resolution, but to something very squat (clearly not 2560x1440). I also tried 1920x1080 and it gives you a blank display. I don't know why there is this difference between Ubuntu and openSUSE, but perhaps the latter is missing a library or some other package needed for proper functioning that is present in Ubuntu. There was a slight difference in version: 4.15.0-10-generic for Ubuntu and 4.15.5.-1 for openSUSE Tumbleweed. I doubt that this difference would be the cause, but I can't rule it out.

Feb 26, 2018 1:19 PM in response to mfoxattrent

I now know that there were some differences between Ubuntu 18.04 daily build and openSUSE Tumbleweed that might explain the difference in video mode setting functionality. When I checked the driver loaded in each with the command "inxi -xG", I got in openSUSE that the driver was "modesetting,ati (unloaded fbdev,vesa,radeon). In Ubuntu I got for driver "AMDGPU" and also openGL: version 4.5 Mesa 17.3.3, direct driver: yes. So it seems that what openSUSE loaded allowed regular bootup and some functionality by blacklisting conflicting drivers, whereas Ubuntu just loaded the newest driver and Mesa versions.

I hope this helps someone in the future, but it appears that if you're just interested in running Ubuntu on your 5k iMac, you're all set once 18.04 is released.

running ubuntu on the 5k imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.