Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shared name of Mac keeps changing

This infuriating little bug has been around since at least 2007, but gets "solved" every few years and then reappears with the next release of OS X.

I'm posting because it's especially bad with "Yosemite" (10.10), none of the previous fixes one can find on the web work, and it's just bloody ridiculous in this day and age that Apple of all people has such a persistent networking bug in the middle of their prize "bonjour" protocol. It's awful, annoying, infuriating and someone should actually do something about it, no?

The bug is that the Sharing name of a computer on a local network will constantly change by reason of bracketed numbers being added to the end of the name. If your computer name is "George" for instance, it will change to "George (2)", "George (3)", and so on. Mine has gone up to "(6)" a few times recently. All these computers, which are actually the same computer, will then show up as separate entities in the bonjour sharing dialogue. Clearly there is a sort of infinite loop thing going on where the computer looks at the network, sees itself, and thinks that this is actually a second computer of the same name. It's a childish, annoying little bug that Apple seems to not give a rat's behind about. It's been around for over 7 years!

Various online discussions (some here) can be found wherein various things can be tried, some of which on some OS's stop the behaviour for a while, but NONE of which actually work on Yosemite.

The most direct method to "fix" it is to reset the mDNSResponder.plist with some scary terminal code, but this fails on Yosemite because the file in question doesn't exist anymore.

The only thing I have found that slows it down, is to turn off all sharing, and turn off wireless on my computer. Needless to say this is NOT A SOLUTION. It's ridiculous to expect users to essentially turn off bonjour, to fix a bug within bonjour. Even so, the bug will reappear at times even with all sharing services turned off and wireless turned off.

Please, someone find a way to fix this nightmare. Apple has had seven years and apparently can't manage it.

Posted on Oct 24, 2014 12:32 PM

66 replies

Nov 1, 2014 1:12 PM in response to mr_bee

I am experiencing the same issue with Yosemite OSX.

It was OK with Mavericks but since I updated my MacBook Pro keeps updating it's name by incrementally like Sputnik, Sputnik-1, Sputnik-2, Sputnik-3 and so on. Resetting te name to it's original and proper version some times lasts for a few days, some other times I can see it changing under my own eyes immediately after I do the resetting.

Very annoying indeed

/P

Nov 3, 2014 10:55 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

I don't think this is a real solution though. You don't say whether you mean a soft reset, a hard reset, or a factory conditions reset. I'm going to ignore the possibility of a soft reset since that is only for gaining access to the router, which I already have.

A hard reset of the router carries with it too much danger of complete network failure for most people. Like most folks, I have Internet through a local monopolist that requires me to use their modem, which also includes a router and a wireless component, and thus my Airport Extreme is set up so as to avoid using the monopolists gear. For me, this is all very complicated and it has failed before requiring me to call the monopolist, wait hours online, or days for someone to come and fix it, because the one piece of gear I have no access to at all, is the monopolists modem/router. I would be extremely nervous about resetting the router and losing those settings, and it seems really unlikely to me that I should have to.

This problem seems to be basically a 100% software-based, (probably bonjour-based), Apple software issue.

My Airport Extreme is completely accessible by me at an admin level and controls the network in my house. My computers are all accessible and I have Admin access on all of them as well. Given that previous fixes for this problem were about flushing the mDNS cache, and that this trick is now not possible on Yosemite, it seems to me that this is really a software based Bonjour problem that Apple should be able to fix or that someone out there knows how to do the same kind of bonjour flushing on Yosemite that was possible on older OS's.

Nov 4, 2014 7:16 AM in response to mr_bee

As it turned out this was not a permanent solution, after a few days one of the laptops on the network starting resetting its hostname.

One other data point, though Im not sure how this fits in, just noticed my Apple TV has done the same thing (add a (2) to its name). Never noticed this until now as it did not affect its use so not sure if this happened before the computer upgrades to Yosemite.

regards

Nov 4, 2014 10:02 AM in response to mr_bee

I'd look for a loop in the local network, possibly including a loop in or among switches, and would look for proper subnetting particularly when multiple network controllers are present in any of the hosts involved or when multiple routers (firewall and WiFi, for instance) are present in the network. I'd also look for a problem with the local Bonjour sleep proxy, if there's an AirPort around. Also ensure there isn't a host name being provided to the client devices from the local DHCP device.

The dns-sd command-line tool can be used to watch the Bonjour traffic, and there's a Bonjour Browser tool around, though that'll involve some digging.

Alternatively, log a bug report with Apple. They don't necessarily read stuff posted here.

Nov 10, 2014 6:13 AM in response to MrHoffman

Hi Mr Hoffman, yours sounds like a sensible consideration and I have been in fact chasing for some duplicate settings in my system that where causing the problem. So far no luck. This bug is really infuriating (to use mr_bee's own words) and apparently it can't be fixed just fiddling with my network settings.

I tried swapping routers, changing DNS setting, turning off Bonjour and everything else that could possibly make sense, all to no avail.

And once you thing you nailed the bugger as for a few hours everything behaves properly, all of a sudden the problem reappears.

Very, very frustrating indeed and it appeared with the upgrade.

Anybody out there made some progress with this issue?

Nov 10, 2014 6:33 AM in response to Gran Maestro

This is a ridiculous problem that Apple really needs to address. Ive been having the same troubles since installing Yosemite on my two systems and while it isn;t causing any system problems as far as I an tell it is annoying.

Resetting the router (an Airport extreme) seem to resole the issue for a few days but it started up again. An the frustrating part is there does;t seem to be any rhyme-or-reason t what triggers it. My network is simple, a cable modem hooked to the Airport Extreme. The laptop connect with WiFi the iMac is cabled to the APE (though I have tried different configurations of wired and WiFi from the iMac and now of it makes a difference).

So no loop, no multiple switches nothing. The only difference this time is that I did a clean install of Yosemite on both systems. Erased the disk, installed Yosemite and manually added back what I wanted. After so many years and so many upgrades the drug was building up and wanted a fresh install.

Still looking for an answer but as it does;t affect system performance it has dropped a few notches down the list of things to do.

regards

Nov 11, 2014 9:07 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Hi Frank

in System Preferences > Sharing, remove the (2) [or whatever is extra: mine was iMac (2), so I removed the (2)

exit Preferences

shutdown

- restart machine in Recovery mode (machine off. press and hold Command + R, power on, when Apple logo appears release keys)

- may take a few minutes to boot (depends on machine generation/speed. RAM and such)

- select the OS disk (mine was Macintosh HD: selected the 'indented' item)

- run Verify Disk Permissions

- when finished run R pair Disk Permissions

restart

Thats the FIX

Gary

Nov 11, 2014 9:46 AM in response to harddrive360

Repair permissions may solve the problem temporarily, but it comes back. I now have three Yosemite laptops on my network with incremental names Mac (2), OtherMac (3), etc. At one point I had five instances of my MacBook Pro showing in my own Sharing sidebar in Finder.

While this is annoying, I would choose to ignore it if it caused no harm. But my Time Machine backups fail once a machine increments itself. I'm resetting the machine names manually in sharing, but they all start name-changing after a sleep cycle or two.

Almost as annoying as the ARD "update" stuck in my App Store. But that's another story.

Nov 11, 2014 10:05 AM in response to dbengston

Apologies for not answering some of these replies, I have been ill and also dealing with several Yosemite problems like the complete non-functionality of iBooks.

Unfortunately, this "fix" is not available to me since I cannot use Recovery mode. I don't see how it could possibly be the answer anyway. If someone could explain in more detail as to *why* this might work, I would be interested to hear it, but it won't work for me.

I use a 4TB RAID 10 as my main hard drive so I don't have nor can I use a recovery partition or recovery mode. It seems far more likely to me that the permissions are being screwed up by the bug than the other way around anyway.

Nov 11, 2014 11:13 PM in response to dbengston

Hi dbengston, I can confirm exactly what you just said.

I have tried the repair-permission solution out of curiosity but to no avail, we can scrap also that one from our list.

The bug seems more prone to appear after a sleep/awake cycle but is not limited to that.

It happened just now while typing this comment: I corrected my computer name before and found it changed back to (2) right now.

****!

P

Nov 12, 2014 12:00 AM in response to mr_bee

Well, it seems to me that the system appends a digit to the computer name when it believes that there is already one or more machines on the network that share that same name. If that is not true of the network, then I'd assume that the system is seeing ghost images (something from system or network caches, maybe) that it believes are computers of the same name. So that leads to two thoughts:

First thought, use the terminal command: network setup -setcomputername ComputerName to reset the computer name to its proper value. This has the same effect as changing the computer name from System Preferences -> Sharing, but it needs to be run as administrator so I think it trumps any cached versions. You could even set up a small shell script that checks the computer name and resets it if needed, then run it at startup from launchd. Something like (and pardon my poor shell scripting; I'm sure this can be done better, assuming this code works at all):

#/bin/bash

compName = `/usr/sbin/networksetup -getcomputername`

if [ "$compName" != "ComputerName"]; then

/usr/sbin/networksetup -setcomputername "ComputerName"

fi

Second thought, download one of those free system utility apps (like Yasu or Onyx) and clear out all the system, local, and user caches, then reset the computer name as above.

Shared name of Mac keeps changing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.