Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay icon does not show up on menu bar

I have a MacBook Pro late-2011 and a brand new Apple Airport Express. The Airplay icon shows up on iTunes, but not in the menu bar of the Mac. I tried to "detect display", doesn't work. How can I make it work to use mirroring?

FYI, I have Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10, and Airport Utilities software is up to date...

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 24, 2014 2:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2014 6:56 PM

On the Mac under System Preferences -> Displays, check the following

User uploaded file

From About AirPlay Mirroring in OS X

An Apple TV

A supported Mac

AirPlay Mirroring in OS X takes advantage of the hardware capabilities of recent Macs to deliver high frame rates while maintaining optimal system performance. The following Mac models support AirPlay Mirroring when using OS X Mountain Lion or later:

• iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013 or newer)
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2014 6:56 PM in response to longly89

On the Mac under System Preferences -> Displays, check the following

User uploaded file

From About AirPlay Mirroring in OS X

An Apple TV

A supported Mac

AirPlay Mirroring in OS X takes advantage of the hardware capabilities of recent Macs to deliver high frame rates while maintaining optimal system performance. The following Mac models support AirPlay Mirroring when using OS X Mountain Lion or later:

• iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013 or newer)

Feb 10, 2015 7:42 AM in response to Loner T

I've checked the compatibility on the Apple Support Forums, and from what I have found, my Macbook Pro supports Airplay.

I have a Mid-2010 Macbook Pro.

I took another look at the Apple Support Forums, and it seems that I misread. My Macbook Pro is too old to support Airplay.

If my Macbook Pro does not support Airplay, then why is there a checkbox in the Display system preferences? With that being there, it eludes to my Macbook being able to support it.

Oct 4, 2015 6:45 AM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner T , I have the exact same situation as for Markfrommattoon.. Except that I had the chance to use my Macbook Pro mid 2010 on OS X YOSEMITE with my AppleTV for a short period of a time.
Everything was working perfectly and the Air Display option was apparent as well as the mini apple tv logo option in the upper menu bar.
After two updates that I recently made, it decided to stop showing up .. I really don't understand .. is there a way of downgrading OS X firmware ??

Thank you.

Oct 4, 2015 8:38 AM in response to N-Tony

N-Tony wrote:

After two updates that I recently made, it decided to stop showing up .. I really don't understand .. is there a way of downgrading OS X firmware ??

Can you post the exact year/model and the EFI version? Do not post your Mac's serial number. It is painful to downgrade firmware. The discovery of ATV is done using two different protocols, mDNS (aka Bonjour) and AWDL. You can also look at packet traces on your network. Do you have newer Macs that you can test airplay with? There is also AirParrot.

Airplay icon does not show up on menu bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.