Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm trying to add another iCloud email address; it refuses password???

I am trying to create a second iCloud email address; I followed directions for Snow Leopard and get account created, am using my Apple ID signin as password. Account will not go online and keeps asking me for password. Then rejects what I type in...

Any ideas.

Thanks

Rose

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 24, 2014 2:53 PM

4 replies

Oct 24, 2014 11:40 PM in response to GlenCarbon

Do you mean you have created an email alias? This is part of the same account and you don't need to add it as a new account - indeed you can't. Mail to the alias will turn up in the same inbox as mail to the primary address. You should see the address is the drop-down 'From' list in the new message pane; if you don't, go to Preferences>Accounts and add it to the 'email address' field, separated from the original address by a comma and a space.

Oct 25, 2014 8:01 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thanks for info Roger. What I am trying to do: I am changing internet providers and have an old >@charter.net< email address which will be inactivated when I leave Charter. I (obviously) have a .mac email, so I was trying to create another .mac address using the Charter username, so it would be easier for people to remember. I thought if I used a .mac address instead of the new providers (att.net) , then if I change providers in the future, I wouldn't have to go through this process again.

I am still using SnowLeopard and can go through the process of adding account through MacMail until I get to the end and then I get asked OVER and OVER for the new account password.

SO, if I am understanding your idea, I could just add this alias to my Mac email account after Charter deactives me and then I wouldn't have to notify hundreds of my friends of change of email address???? If that works, you are a GENIUS

Thank you

Rose

<Email Edited By Host>

Oct 25, 2014 8:08 AM in response to GlenCarbon

Firstly, it's a really bad idea to post your email addresses - it's an invitation to spam - and I've asked the Hosts to remove them.

You can create an alias with anything you like before the '@' provided of course that it hasn't already been taken. However what follows the '@' can only be @icloud.com - @mac.com addresses can no longer be created, though existing ones will continue to function (and have equivalent @me.com and @mac.com versions).

As your current Charter.net address is (something)@charter.net and you are going to change it to (something)@icloud.com you are still going to have to notify all your friends as it is a change of address.

You don't say whether your charter.com address is completely independent of your iCloud account or whether it is its login (though if you have an @mac.com address that is likely to be the login). If your login is any non-Apple address you can change it to any other non-Apple address, but you cannot change to you @mac.com, @me.com or @icloud.com address (or alias address), and if your login is an @mac.com address you cannot change that.

When you add an alias you cannot access it as a separate account in Mail (it's not an account which is why when you try to add it you can't find a password for it); you can access and use it as the 'From' address as indicated in my post above.

More information on aliases here: http://help.apple.com/icloud/#mm6b1a490a

Oct 25, 2014 9:06 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thanks Roger. I was trying to make it easy on myself; but the >charter.net< will just go to the rubbish pile and I'll get out a notice

to my friends. Don't know why I am so paranoid about thinking I am going to miss an important (or fun!) email message from

someone I haven't heard from in years.

This Mac Forum is AMAZING! I stayed up until after 4a.m. the other morning trying to figure out how to do this and succeeded in messing up most of my existing email accounts~~~~~have everything OK now and really appreciate your help.

thanks again.

Rose

I'm trying to add another iCloud email address; it refuses password???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.