Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iphone 6 plus won't sync music

I'm having a lot of problems syncing music, movies, etc to my new iPhone. I have updated everything and when I go to sync it shows some of the music in on my phone and the rest of the music is grayed out... really annoying and dont know how to fix it. Any ideas?

Ryan

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 24, 2014 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 6:03 PM

Had the same problem at first. When sync itunes to new iphone 6 plus, most of the songs in my music library synced, but not all of them. The ones that didn't sync still showed up on the phone but they won't play (like "ghost" songs), instead skipping to the next song. This occurred on brand new phone 6 plus that I bought on 10/28/14, and used latest versions of iTunes and iOS 8.1 to sync.

I've read a lot (you find more searching on google) and there are over a MILLION online posts about this problem, but no consistent fix yet.

One thing I've noticed is a discrepancy between the total number of "items" in my iTunes library, and the total number of "songs" that get synced on the iphone 6 plus.

My iTunes library has over 2626 "items" (to see your total, click on Library>Music>Songs, and scroll to the bottom of the list it will tell you the total number of items in your library)

However, after I sync, the iphone 6 plus thinks there are only a total of 2515 "songs" (to see your total, turn on your phone and click on Music>Songs, and scroll to bottom of list to see the total number of "Songs"). The iphone seems to be counting the combined total of both the grayed out songs, and the non-grayed out songs - regardless of whether they play or not

The source of the problem seems to be in the current version of iTunes software. While my phone is synced to iTunes (and still plugged in by USB cord), the iTunes software correctly lists my phone under "Devices" on the left hand side. If you click on the device listed, and then click on "Music" at the top of the iTunes banner (choices: Summary-Info-Apps-Music-Movies-TV Shows-Photos), you get to a mostly blank white page titled "SYNC MUSIC" with a check box next to it, and next to this it lists the number of "songs" to be synced. In my case, for some reason this is only 2515 songs, and not the actual number of "2626 items".

This seems to be an important clue to the source of this common problem

Many of the online suggestions by other users with this problem find that a common temporary fix that sometimes works is to check and uncheck the box on the "SYNC MUSIC" page (listing the incomplete total number of items in the library) and then re-sycn. This DID work for me !!! But other users warn it's only a temporary fix, and the problem reverts if you try to sync your phone again. So once you get all your "items" on the iphone this way, they suggest avoiding any further syncing until Apple fixes the problem

The fact that unclicking & reclicking "Sync Music" works (under "Music" when clicking on the listing for your device in iTunes) suggests this feature in iTunes is part of the source of the problem. Apparently, Apple's iTunes Sync software sometimes only syncs "ITEMS" that Apple recognizes as "SONGS" !!!

Yet many of my other "items" are in fact songs, but many without attached artwork, or artists, or albums. Many are older versions of songs not currently for sale in iTunes online database, or classic songs in older albums no longer available. Some of my "items" are video recordings of college lectures etc...which are treated like songs in my iTunes library but won't sync to the iphone 6 plus.

Interestingly, my iTunes library plays all of these "items" just fine. Also, it still syncs to my older ipods just fine, including all the "items".

The only problem seems to be with syncing to the iphone 6.

HOPE THAT APPLE TECHS READ THIS AND CORRECT THE PROBLEM SOON IN THE NEXT ITUNES

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2014 6:03 PM in response to ryanfromarnprior

Had the same problem at first. When sync itunes to new iphone 6 plus, most of the songs in my music library synced, but not all of them. The ones that didn't sync still showed up on the phone but they won't play (like "ghost" songs), instead skipping to the next song. This occurred on brand new phone 6 plus that I bought on 10/28/14, and used latest versions of iTunes and iOS 8.1 to sync.

I've read a lot (you find more searching on google) and there are over a MILLION online posts about this problem, but no consistent fix yet.

One thing I've noticed is a discrepancy between the total number of "items" in my iTunes library, and the total number of "songs" that get synced on the iphone 6 plus.

My iTunes library has over 2626 "items" (to see your total, click on Library>Music>Songs, and scroll to the bottom of the list it will tell you the total number of items in your library)

However, after I sync, the iphone 6 plus thinks there are only a total of 2515 "songs" (to see your total, turn on your phone and click on Music>Songs, and scroll to bottom of list to see the total number of "Songs"). The iphone seems to be counting the combined total of both the grayed out songs, and the non-grayed out songs - regardless of whether they play or not

The source of the problem seems to be in the current version of iTunes software. While my phone is synced to iTunes (and still plugged in by USB cord), the iTunes software correctly lists my phone under "Devices" on the left hand side. If you click on the device listed, and then click on "Music" at the top of the iTunes banner (choices: Summary-Info-Apps-Music-Movies-TV Shows-Photos), you get to a mostly blank white page titled "SYNC MUSIC" with a check box next to it, and next to this it lists the number of "songs" to be synced. In my case, for some reason this is only 2515 songs, and not the actual number of "2626 items".

This seems to be an important clue to the source of this common problem

Many of the online suggestions by other users with this problem find that a common temporary fix that sometimes works is to check and uncheck the box on the "SYNC MUSIC" page (listing the incomplete total number of items in the library) and then re-sycn. This DID work for me !!! But other users warn it's only a temporary fix, and the problem reverts if you try to sync your phone again. So once you get all your "items" on the iphone this way, they suggest avoiding any further syncing until Apple fixes the problem

The fact that unclicking & reclicking "Sync Music" works (under "Music" when clicking on the listing for your device in iTunes) suggests this feature in iTunes is part of the source of the problem. Apparently, Apple's iTunes Sync software sometimes only syncs "ITEMS" that Apple recognizes as "SONGS" !!!

Yet many of my other "items" are in fact songs, but many without attached artwork, or artists, or albums. Many are older versions of songs not currently for sale in iTunes online database, or classic songs in older albums no longer available. Some of my "items" are video recordings of college lectures etc...which are treated like songs in my iTunes library but won't sync to the iphone 6 plus.

Interestingly, my iTunes library plays all of these "items" just fine. Also, it still syncs to my older ipods just fine, including all the "items".

The only problem seems to be with syncing to the iphone 6.

HOPE THAT APPLE TECHS READ THIS AND CORRECT THE PROBLEM SOON IN THE NEXT ITUNES

Nov 7, 2014 3:41 AM in response to fossildoc

I have similar issues and I am really p*ssed off with this product and with the software. How can such a great product be screwed up so badly? Apple sort this out... Or I shall be moving over to Sony toot sweet when I upgrade next...me and others.

To fix the issue, out of frustration, I have resorted to reset my phone as it deals with the issue almost in one hit... But this will be the third time I have reset my phone this week... the 21st time over the month. Rubbish...

Feb 5, 2015 12:09 PM in response to ryanfromarnprior

February 5, 2015 - had the same problem. tried some of the other fixes and did not work. Here is what worked for me: make a new playlist in your iTunes. then drag your desired music (whether it be an old playlist, or your entire library) into that new playlist. go to your device, the music tab, then unclick everything but that playlist. apply the changes and sync. this is the only thing that worked for me.

Feb 27, 2015 7:02 PM in response to ryanfromarnprior

I just spoke at length with an Apple advisor. They know that they have a syncing problem, and are they are trying to fix it. They do not know when it will be fixed. There are two official workarounds: 1) unsync and then resync all music; 2) backup the iDevice, reset it to factory defaults, and then restore it from backup. These are not practical for me because all music on my computer is in uncompressed files that are converted to compressed files during sync (a nice feature that apple added a few versions ago). It takes me around fourteen hours to sync each of my iDevices.

Any information they get is useful for tracking down the bugs. Submit feedback to http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Mar 25, 2015 7:55 PM in response to trele6

Below is my final response to the Apple advisor who was helping me. Hope it is useful. You need to let it keep going even though though iTunes says the sync is complete. My guess is that something is not working, and Apple has just put a patch in place that is likely not noticeable to the majority of users because they only have a relatively small number if compressed tracks to sync.

******************************************************************************** ************************************************************

So after the reset, restore and a resync I had hundreds of tracks that did not sync. This was the problem I called about in a way. I’ve attached a screen shot showing what this looks like (screen shot not included with this post). This corrected itself when I sync’d the iPhone again. It was a bit strange though. The iPhone went through the entire sync, but when the sync was finished a spinning, circular arrow was showing in place of the eject symbol in the left pane of iTunes. I could see grayed out tracks syncing so I let it go overnight. The next morning all songs were sync’d.

Other info: All music I have in iTunes is in .wav format. I have iTunes set to convert on sync to 128 kbps ACC.

My iphone 6 plus won't sync music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.