Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reoccurring Java update window

Since updating my 15" (mid 2009) MacPro laptop to Yosemite OS 10.10, I get window every time after start up suggesting that I need to update Java. I followed instructions and updated Java to Standard Edition Version 8 Update 25, but the warning window continues after every startup. I am not running a game that requires Java. In fact, this is the first time I have ever seen a Java update request that I can remember. Any ideas as to satisfying this annoying request?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff McGrew

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10), 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, mid-2009

Posted on Oct 24, 2014 7:18 PM

11 replies

Oct 25, 2014 3:08 PM in response to bodyxs

You are correct. I do have CS4 installed, but currently only use Photoshop/Bridge from that package.

Not yet clear on what to do. Java SE825 is latest update, but warning window continues. Do I need to remove Java and install earlier version? If so, how? Can't seem to find system library to delete JavaApplet. Do I need really Java anyway?

Oct 25, 2014 3:59 PM in response to mcgruzoo

I have installed the latest Java around 20 times, it verifies that it is installed, but I also keep getting the message about needing to install Java. Do not know if this is a Yosemite or Java problem?? Is there any way I can turn off the warning about needing to install Java? It is getting very annoying for it to keep popping up!!

Oct 25, 2014 7:09 PM in response to mcgruzoo

Remove the Java 8 http://www.java.com/en/download/help/mac_uninstall_java.xml There seems to be a problem with Java 8 and Yosemite. Apple does not offer support for have after version 6, for security reasons.

Once removed, continue using your mac. If you need to install Java you'll now when an app popup or a browser message will ask for it.

The progress bar at startup is normal in Yosemite (just replaced the spinning gear).

reoccurring Java update window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.