Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't log into Messages on MacBook

Hi, I can't seem to log in to my Messages on my MacBook Pro at all.

When I open it up it's just a grey window that says "No conversation selected". I can't click on Preferences, Add Account or Log In

Recently, I cleaned up some files on my MacBook to clear up some room. I don't think they were related to Messages though so I'm not sure if that would have caused this.

Please help 😟

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 2:10 AM

10 replies

Oct 26, 2014 11:57 AM in response to Emily Vu

Ahhh!! Someone else, FINALLY who has the same problem!

I recently installed Yosemite on my 2013 Macbook Air and handoff/my messages app is just... an exercise in mind-numbing frustration.

Issue:
When I get texts, I get the pop-up notification in the top-right of my Mac with the texter's name and a preview of their message, but when I click on the notifications.. they disappear and nothing happens.
When I click on the "Messages" app icon, a grey window pops up that says "No Conversation Selected"-- or sometimes, it doesn't even say that. It's just a blank grey screen.

Like the previous user, all preferences and options in the menu are greyed-out, and the app doesn't show any conversations.

What's MOST annoying is that I can't seem to find many other people who have this issue, and therefore have found zero solutions as of yet.

Anyone have any ideas!?

Oct 26, 2014 2:25 PM in response to Emily Vu

Hi,

Check the Font AppleGothic.ttf is active and validates using the Font Book app.

if you have to change anything restart the Mac.

If this is not the issue go to ~/Library/Preferences and find com.apple.ichat.plist and Drag it to the Trash and then restart Messages.

User uploaded file

9:25 pm Sunday; October 26, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Can't log into Messages on MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.