Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up a A1088 Airport Express on Yosemite

By using the coreyjmahler-dot-com method to use Airport Utility 5.6 on Yosemite I am able to setup my old A1088 Airports after I reset them to factory settings.

However the only way to configure the A1088 Airports with Airport Utility 5.6 is to connect them to my Mac to Ethernet, Airport Utility does not see them wirelessly.

Other models such as A1264 can be seen wirelessly. Is this normal?

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 1:25 AM

9 replies

Nov 2, 2014 5:25 AM in response to Bob Timmons

HI Bob,

I have just upgraded to Yosemite and had hoped to see my old Airport Express A1088 back in green and visible in my Airport Utility. That did not happen, I can still only see it as a separate line in the networks menu where I get the depressing text "this version of airport utility doesn't support this base station". How do I connect my AE back into my network?

Mar 23, 2015 8:07 AM in response to giacom8

Back in 2013, I think, all the advisors here said that the old AEs would never work on Mavericks. They were wrong. My A1088 didn't work properly with Airplay for months, but then one day it suddenly started working again. In my fond imagination, there might have been a decision somewhere in the Apple team that it was not really fair to deliberately make old models obsolete, so they designed a work around. No, I know that's not likely on past evidence. So, I also have imagined a rogue engineer at Apple who subverts the wasteful company policies by sneaking his own solutions into OS updates. Not likely either. But fables like that amuse me and prevent me from screaming at my screen.

So, the answer to your question we will probably have to buy new hardware, but we can live in hope of being saved by a Tuttle.

Apr 25, 2015 7:38 AM in response to Delphi8000

Hi I have the same problem my AirPort extreme station just died two days ago I've this A1088 Airport Express and I'm trying to setup a password and make it work on Yosemite 10.10.3 but as the previous comments I got the message "this version of airport utility doesn't support this base station" I'm about to get crazy, please I need help/advise where are the mac's wonderful support guys?!

Apr 26, 2015 1:31 AM in response to Susan Howard

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately the earlier version that I have at home is a MacBook Pro Yosemite 10.10 have no windows computer just a virtual machine installed in my macbook air, that could work as well? I've tried with the old Yosemite 10.10 but I got the same message, I'm quite desperate because I need internet and I'm using my phone internet which is not good and very expensive, any other suggestion or advice? Thanks!

Setting up a A1088 Airport Express on Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.