Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD unable to mount in 10.2

hello,

So I updated my clamshell iBook with an SSD recently. Since I was originally planning to just use OS 9 on it, I formatted it under OS 9 initially and everything was running fine without any troubles.

However, now I would like to install OS X 10.2 on the SSD. It worked previously on the original harddrive and it worked on a 3rd gen iPod, so the CD is perfectly fine. The problem though lies with mounting the SSD. The installer cd takes about half an hour with the boot logo, and then another half hour preparing packages.

If I continue normally towards the install prompt, the installer just failes.

If I open Disk Utility, I see the size of the SSD, but the partition is listed without a name. Selecting either the drive or partition causes the spinning pinwheel and after about half an hour, I can continue to do whatever. I tried erasing the drive, and after however long it said done, and I rebooted and OS 9 booted normally without problem.

OS X (10.2.0) recognises the SSD properly as a TS32GPSD330, but it just can't mount. I did however try booting the unfinished install (needs disk 2 to finish) in single user mode, and it was able to mount the SSD in read-only mode without problems. I ran an fsck -fy and it said the drive appears to be OK. I even tried updating the drivers using Drive Setup version 2.1, but still, nothing has changed.

What do you think? Thanks in advance!

iBook G3-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.2.x) , Transcend TS32GPSD330 SSD

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 2:22 AM

1 reply

Apr 13, 2015 10:17 AM in response to Nymunariya

I also bought a Transcend TS32GPSD330 32GB IDE SSD for my Clamshell 466 Key Lime iBook. The SSD drive is working great! But not withour some initial problems.

Before I installed the 32GB SSD drive, I put it in a generic Firewire external IDE drive enclosure, then I partitioned and formated (erase) the drive with 'add OS 9.x drivers box' checked for both using the iBook's OS X 10.4.11 Disk Utility, then I backed up my existing OS X 10.4.11 iBook 10GB hard drive to the 32GB TS32GPSD330 SSD using Disk Utility's Restore function.

After the iBook OS X 10.4.11 SSD clone was made, I re-booted the iBook holding down the options key and selected the Firewire 32GB SSD drive to boot from...well it failed to boot giving the 'Universal No' symbol instead of the Apple symbol!

After partitioning and erasing (formating) agian with the 'add OS 9x drivers box' NOT CHECKED for both partitioning and erasing (formating), I agian used restore to clone my 10GB hard drive to the Firewire 32GB SSD drive and when coping was finished, I re-booted the iBook agian holding down the oprion key, then selecting the Firewire 32GB SSD clone...it booted!

I then opened up the 466 iBook Clamshell using iFixit Guide, I installed the 32GB SSD drive, put it all back together and sucess! my iBook Clamshell 466 Key Lime is now much faster than before and now has amazing battery life.

I also maxed out the memory by adding a 512MB DIMM ($15 from eBay), an after market new iBook Clamshell battery ($24 from eBay) and a nano sized Edimax EW-7811Un 150Mbbs 11n USB WIFI adapter. Everything is working great!

Perhaps that's also your problem, the OS 9.x drivers on your hard drive?

SSD unable to mount in 10.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.