Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How would you create a swarm of bees in Motion5?

What's on my mind:

need a 'swarm' following, 'attacking' people .... the swarm doesn't have to show actual bees, tiny dots is enough detail (no close-ups). I'd like to paint some bezier into my video, and the swam follows it. The swarm shouldn't be a 'solid body' but vary in shape... 'blobish' ...

ok, this is birds, but a bit like this:

http://youtu.be/eakKfY5aHmY

I need particles, that's for a start 😉

and some humming sounds (got this), and people yelling "OMG, killer-bees, they attack us!" (we'll soon record this with the school-kids from the FlimClub)... yes, that's B-picture <pun intended> .... more probably a Z-picture... 😝

Looking forward to your suggestions ...

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3), i5 (late2012) 16GB

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 3:04 AM

8 replies

Oct 26, 2014 1:06 AM in response to fox_m

fox_m wrote:

Something like this?...

Thank you for suggesting, but call me too ambitious or just iffy 😉 :

No, not even close!

When you watch closely, the particles in your example just 'spray away' from the swarm/center of the emitter. (and then vanish/die)

When you watch my example with the birds, you'll notice, all birds/bees stay within the swarm; I guess, for a swarm of bees, each particle just needs to 'vibrate' about its average position within the swarm; the illusion of 'swarming' is created by the movement of the whole 'cloud' PLUS its 'silly-putting' = 3D transformation 😟

I think, I've seen a Motion tutorials before, showing a transforming based upon movement ... ?

Some Magic Wand effect? Fire on a match-stick? One of those Bouncing Ball demoes??

<scratching head>

... I'm looking for a behavior which makes a free-hand form 'wobble' - depending on direction of over-all movement... woah! 😀

Maybe, for a start, I should learn how to create a 'sphere' randomly filled with dots? - I'm pretty sure, this is 'basics' for you, fox, right?

Next is to make all dots shiver = some random x/y/z positioning. Should be easy too.-

Next is to modify the sphere, to learn how to knead it .... That is the tricky part.

Oct 26, 2014 3:33 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

You can create a sphere randomly filled with dots either in a replicator or an emitter by setting the 3D option and from the Shape selector, choose Sphere and for the Arrangement, choose Random Fill. It is definitely an optional starting point. (I just used a Point emitter... see below).

The basic idea is to move the dots around in a seemingly independent motion while having them all follow a general "track". The easiest way to do that is to create a shape — a rectangle will usually do. Next, draw a bezier line that you want the general "action" to follow and add a Motion Path behavior to the shape and apply they bezier line as the Geometry setting.

Apply a Behaviors > Simulations > Attracted To behavior to the Emitter or Replicator (Emitter will be fine, and with a Scale over Life, you can create an illusion of Z-space motion.) Set the Shape for the Attracted To's Object. Include X,Y and Z and as a starting point, set the Strength to about 250. [Strength is a tricky thing: you think greater numbers will mean it will stick to the object better, but that is not necessarily so: the increased speed created tends to "throw" objects much further afield if the strength is too high. If the strength is to low, everything slows down too much. Influence should be kept somewhat high if you don't want some objects "wandering off" if they get out of the sphere of influence of the attractor object. That's why I also recommend the following:)

Apply a Behaviors > Simulations > Attractor behavior to the emitter as well. Set the Strength to about 100 and the influence to 1000 (give or take). This will keep all the particles grouped together a little better (this is an optional addition; if you want to keep it simple, it can be omitted.)

That's the basics. I have this demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLBUMsUVPoA

The rectangle shape is shown (outline/low opacity) so you can see how the emitter follows it. The shape actually IS following a Motion Path, but in the Motion Path behavior, I set the Speed to Custom and keyframed the custom speed parameter with Constant interpolation position changes (making the rectangle "jump" from location to location.) The emitter will change directions every time it is reset. At the end, I keyframe the size of the rectangle to make the swarm "grow" (giving the impression of being "close" to the viewer.) I also use the Scale over Live behavior to start them off very small (distant) to larger and change the shape from oval to circular since I couldn't get the Snap Alignment to Motion to make a difference.

For the emitter:

I used a Shape: Point and turned on 3D [I also have Render Particles in Global 3D - I'm not sure this will make a difference unless you need to bypass Layer order.) I set the Emission Range to 360 and the other two to 0. I delayed that start of "Birth Rate" briefly and keyframed about a second of births to build up the Swarm (0 to 2000). At the end of the build up, I set the keyframe back to 0 -- no more births. Set the Life to a sufficiently high number so that all the particles will always live. Set the Speed to about 100 and Speed Randomness to about 350.

All the rest is "season to taste"... Have fun! (Hope this helps.)

Mar 9, 2015 3:26 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

oops, complete forgotten ...

THANKS, fox_m, excellent as always...

… in all honesty: your result couldn't convince me … and my bunch of lil' film reviewers in our school film club "No, you can do better, Mr Schlüter!"

finally I had an idea:

a 'cellular generator' creates random dots

an oval shape mask

randomize x/y parameters of mask and generator

… and here comes my trick: make the cloud of slices! 3 'generators on diff. z-positions! This adds 'depth'

User uploaded file

in this demo 3 slices in diff. z-positions - looks like that:

User uploaded file

and animated like this:

http://youtu.be/bMTxR3TnbXE

yepp, when the swarm points direct into cam axis, you notice, it's 'flat'

asks for a clever flying route ...😁

and for sure faster!

add some evil bzzzzz sound - for our needs perfect!

THANKS for you help!

Mar 10, 2015 11:40 PM in response to fox_m

fox_m wrote:

There's usually more than one way to accomplish what you want in Motion. …

Don't get me wrong, fox, you have helped me (and others) many, many times, and I'm still breathless about your profound knowledge, and been very thankful you share it to the community...

In this case, my lil' film-makers in the schools "Film Club" obviously had some unspoken imagination, how it should look like... And that 'slices' idea worked out fine. btw: adding additional 3 slice 90° to the main direction gives a better '3D' effect ...

fox_m wrote:

… Nice work!

Thanks for the 'flowers' . not Hollywood, but good enough for a school project. 😝

Done with a few Behaviors… no rocket science, and you can adjust the swarm 'live', awesome.

I borrowed your Motion Path method to make the swarm flying across the scenery ... - we had great fun with the kids, recordding the 'live' parts - then adding in the post some aggressive bzzzz and hummm - I've shown the scholars The Birds

User uploaded file

great fun, running around like crazy and yelling "beees!!!" ...

(I'm not allowed to publish our project ... kids, internet, privacy, etc)

Mar 19, 2015 12:58 AM in response to guyh2020

guyh2020 wrote:

You can actually use the crazy weightless sparks effect in particle emitters and put a black ellipse as the source input in the particle source well. This is a presimulated swarm that you can add behaviors to and it will look really cool.

Excellent suggestion!

Although… I couldn't resist to do some nonsense:

User uploaded file

no, these are NOT the intended 'killer bees' we need for our school-project! 😝

I have to admit: I'm a total newbee concerning Particles/Emitters/...

Should spend some time with advice, what and how and where ...

… will book some course.

… a lil' over my head, but someone has to do this job.... LOL.

What I like is the 'depth by luminance'-effect - smart way to give a plain 2D graphic a sort-of 3D feeling; if I'm correct, there's some 'Point to camera' (??) behavior, which would allow this 'depth' while the swarm flies around…

Great! Thanks for sharing!

How would you create a swarm of bees in Motion5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.