Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Release Cycle of iTunes

Hello, I have recently updated my iTunes to iTunes v12.0.1

I noticed that from time to time an updated version of iTunes is available. I wonder whether there is a defined relese cycle of iTunes.

Is there a defined release cycle for iTunes releases?

Are there any release notes available to look up the changes an update introduces or see the issues that are fixed?

Are there different versions for iOS, Windows, other operating systems?

Thank you in advance for helping.

iTunes-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 4:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 5:11 AM

As far as I am aware Apple don't have a pre-defined cycle, but updates to iTunes can coincide with security patches, bug fixes, iOS updates and new devices.

The page Apple security updates has links to any security related release notes. This page has more blurb about the current release: http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1614. There are usually notes on the changes in Apple Software Update when that is used to upgrade, but I don't think Apple maintain a page where you can review past update notes. Wikipedia's iTunes Version History is an alternate resource for what has changed.

iTunes runs on Windows and Macintosh OS X. In iOS the functions of iTunes are split between a number of apps, App Store, iTunes Store, Music, Videos, iBooks, and Podcasts. iOS and the standalone apps with have their own update cycles but an update to one item may trigger updates elsewhere since there are interdependences.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2014 5:11 AM in response to Roter Roller

As far as I am aware Apple don't have a pre-defined cycle, but updates to iTunes can coincide with security patches, bug fixes, iOS updates and new devices.

The page Apple security updates has links to any security related release notes. This page has more blurb about the current release: http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1614. There are usually notes on the changes in Apple Software Update when that is used to upgrade, but I don't think Apple maintain a page where you can review past update notes. Wikipedia's iTunes Version History is an alternate resource for what has changed.

iTunes runs on Windows and Macintosh OS X. In iOS the functions of iTunes are split between a number of apps, App Store, iTunes Store, Music, Videos, iBooks, and Podcasts. iOS and the standalone apps with have their own update cycles but an update to one item may trigger updates elsewhere since there are interdependences.

tt2

Release Cycle of iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.