Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RESOUND LINKS - POOR STREAMING SOUND QUALITY

Starting a new thread on this issue, separate from the connectivity issues that dominate most of the threads on RESOUND LINKS aids.

The streaming quality is awful. This has been noted on other treads as a besides. The sound has been described as "thin" and "tinny" as would I. To a degree I can correct this by the tone controls on the Resound App; pushing base up to maximum, and treble to minimum. So what's going on?

I have a moderate dropping high frequency loss, corrected with BTE Linx9's and standard domes. Listen to live/speakers/headphones and it sounds good. Listen by streaming only, dreadful. It strikes me that the frequencies missing from the streamed sound are those that aren't augmented in my profile, because my hearing at these lower frequencies (1K and less) is essentially normal and are adequately heard directly. What I am hearing in streamed sounds is the augmented frequencies as required to normalise hearing (ie those above 1k), and thus missing those frequencies I would normally hear directly without aid assistance (ie those below 1K). Now when streaming there is no direct sound to hear leaving only the higher frequencies that my profile requires

.When I raised this with my audiologist, it went totally over his head. When he tried streaming with brand of aid it sounded good, and he could not understand what I was complaining about. But then he does NOT need aids and I assume that any aid he tried had a flat augmentation spectrum. By my argument such a spectrum would indeed give reasonable streaming quality since it covers the full bandwidth all of which is generated by the transducer.

I put this as both a question and a proposed explanation. Does any one else experience these problems, and concur or refute my hypothesis?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1, Resound Linx 9 pair - high frequenc

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 4:18 AM

14 replies

May 11, 2015 2:23 PM in response to NormanS

Hey guys,

I am thinking right now of getting a pair of the Resound Linx hearing aids. It all sounds great on paper but I am not sure how the reality is going to be (I am going to try them for a couple of weeks starting next week to see if they actually are a fit for me). I have been using Siemens Pure hearing aids for the last 6 years and back when I purchased them I tried to use them via bluetooth and the reality definitely didn't match my high expectations. As you guys are outlining on your messages, the quality was awful.

I was wondering how all these problems turned out and if you found a way to get this issues solved.

I am also looking into the Resound Linx2 but there is not much information regarding the differences between the two models. I thought that you might be up-to-date regarding Resound's technological updates.

As a wary hearing-aid customer, your input would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Jan 5, 2017 4:44 PM in response to NormanS

I definite understand you "tinniness" complaint. Often sounds like a blown speaker from the 70's. And a little draggy. Your suspicion of the clipping seems reasonable but I can't confirm. I'll talk to my audiologist soon. This certainly was not the case with my previous pair from a different maker (whose name I can't quite recall just now). They were more expensive, but probably worth it in retrospect.

Oct 27, 2014 12:18 AM in response to NormanS

The title of your thread caught my eye because I am also very unhappy about the quality of streaming audio.

I have moderate to severe loss (-70dB at 1k, -110 dB at 4k) and am in a trial of ReSound Enzo 9 which are a close cousin of the Linx range.

I describe my problem as a rasp on all sibilants, a kind of intrusive "tst tst" on every "ssss" sound. I did have the same problem on microphone input until the audiologist applied compression, sound shaping and other adjustments which made a big difference. I had assumed these adjustments would also apply to streamed input, but seemingly not, and I am waiting for the next appointment.

Thinking about your problem and explanation: If I say that my streaming audio quality is much improved by turning the treble right down and the base right up it begins to sound more like your hypothesis. I had not thought of your explanation which may or may not be what is happening to me.

The problem with all this hearing stuff is that it is so subjective, and peculiar to the individual, and the audiologist can only go by our verbal feedback.

My personal hobby-horse is that I think there are many advanced hi-tech hearing aids out there performing very sub optimally, because the audiologist does not know how to set the aids up optimally for the individual based on the (sometimes poor) feedback he/she is getting from the client.

Oct 27, 2014 12:31 AM in response to mikebhm

Mike, I have an appointment with my audiologist this afternoon for patching the latest firmware. Will report back on the impact. I agree fully with your final paragraph. Modern aids especially those embracing "wearable tech" are as much to do with IT as audiology, I suspect my knowledge of the former may well be greater than my audiologist. It is why I am trying to get an Airlink USB dongle so I can adjust myself.

Oct 27, 2014 1:30 AM in response to NormanS

I tried to make being allowed to buy (not be given) an Airlink a condition of my purchasing the Enzo 9, but I don't think it will work. (They are going to give me the Unite TV2, remote mic, and remote control for "free", but an Airlink was a step too far).

I told her I had been doing the training modules for professionals on the ReSound Support site, and she suggested (maybe only half joking) I train as an audiologist.

I have seen mention of one person on a hearing aid forum who obtained one.

I may write a serious letter to ReSound on the subject.

May 18, 2015 8:46 AM in response to NormanS

I have new Linx2 HAs. The poor streaming is a bug - I think Apple owns the problem but not sure. When the phone connects to the HA a new profile called iPhone shows up in the Resound app. The audi can not adjust this one. It is all mid-range sound used for streaming - which might be better for a phone call but really ***** for music. Ask your auri to make an adjustment in the advanced settings to turn make "BASS Boost" high rather than low. Phone calls on the HAs are still fine and music is pretty good. Seems like the audi should be able to adjust the iPhone profile just like any of the other "Programs" - (all around, restaurant, ..) but they can not do that. This might be a resound bug. I still believe the bug belongs to Apple though.

Apple should really have a way to connect with the aids that is different when you are streaming music etc versus streaming a phone call.

Also you should try "Find my Phone" app with the HAs on. If you are anywhere close to the phone (lost in a crack in the couch) the beeps are in your ear and not from the phone. So you take the aids out and start over with finding the phone. This is clearly an apple bug. Some sound should come from the phone no matter what device is connected - including a set of headphones.

Apr 23, 2016 7:08 AM in response to NormanS

Agree with the opinion that streaming only uses the correction programmed into the hearing aid. Will try the suggestion to "Ask your auri to make an adjustment in the advanced settings to turn make "BASS Boost" high rather than low"

Seems what is missing is an Equalizer feature for streaming uses the full spectrum of the input sound not just the high frequency correction profile.

I have gone back to using the iPhone for phone calls for now.

Sep 10, 2016 11:58 AM in response to NormanS

Hi Norm. Nice post. I actually predicted the possibility this would be an issue before seeing any Apple forum discussions, and had already emailed "'gnresound@gnresound.com'" the following on the topic.

"My audiologist has selected your model LiNX2 961, and I am learning everything I can to be ready for the fitting in two
weeks. My only question right now, which perhaps my audiologist will explain during my fitting, has to do with audio transmitted from my iPhone 5 and/or iPad Air rather than coming from the environment. I have typical age related loss: Right ear is (250, 500, 1K, 2K, 3K, 4K, 6K, 8K) => (10, 10, 15, 25, 35, 40, 45, 55 dB), and left ear is same pattern but 5 dB worse at all frequencies. So I am getting the RIE type designed to allow lower frequencies from the environment to reach my eardrums directly. Doesn't this mean my hearing aids won't process or transmit the environmental lower frequencies? If so, how will that affect my ability to hear lower frequencies contained in the Bluetooth audio stream? Is the LiNX2 smart enough to ignore environmental low frequencies while transmitting those same frequencies contained in an audio stream?"

I'll forward any reply to that email here.

Sep 13, 2016 9:36 AM in response to wkrasl

Well, I got a reply:

"Thank you for contacting ReSound. Though we would very much like to help you right away these are questions that your hearing care professional will be able to answer for you. When they fit you through the software they will make these adjustments to your hearing aids so the sound is as natural as possible."

I pushed back, asking for a second reply after he reads the original post and replies here, since not all audiologists are successful addressing the issue. In fact, though I didn't say that, I actually have not found any posts or replies where the audiologist did resolve this streaming problem. It seems that an acceptable resolution would be a Smart app screen where settings for bass/treble can be applied differently for streaming vs. non-streaming. I see where L-R volume can be applied differently for streaming vs. non-streaming, but not for bass/treble.

Oct 24, 2016 8:35 AM in response to NormanS

I am evaluating new Linx2 962. My audiologist was able to increase bass frequency for just the streaming, separate from over-the-air sound. This did improve but still not great. When I try a pure sine wave from http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/ I see a big drop below 200 Hz and it ends just below 100 Hz. My computer speakers and my SoundPEATS QY7 work well down to 20 Hz or so. The limitation for the HA is the “receiver” (what the audiologist calls the “speaker” part of the HA). I had my audiologist change the receiver from the lowest power one to the next up and this helped even more. He did not charge extra for this.

So now I am enjoying music that does not depend on bass such as piano and guitar. BUT I have a different problem: Distortion. I have described this problem in a letter to Resound:

"I have a new pair of Linx2 962 hearing aids under evaluation from Lafayette Hearing Center (Indiana). When I stream music from my iPhone 6 (IOS 10.0.2) I hear very annoying extra random sounds like chirping and distortion, especially from piano and guitar (single instrument) music. The distortion does not depend on volume, bass and treble settings, distance of iPhone, battery status, and I tried a newer iPhone SE which has the same problem. I do not hear this distortion in my $20 SoundPeats QY7 so the music source is fine. Over the air sound is good. When I stream a pure sine wave above 5k Hz from http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/ I hear lower frequency and other distortion sounds. My audiologist has no idea about the problem.

"I do not think this distortion is a defect of my units since I hear it in both ears, in fact pretty much in sync. So it is a firmware problem in processing the Bluetooth? Are you working on a fix with this or should I try a different brand? Should I expect better quality after paying $7,000? You will probably tell me they are primarily designed for over-the-air audio and phone calls, but I think if you ignore streaming music I think you will miss out on a big market out there."

I will let you know if I hear back from them.

David Elmore

linx at davidelmore dot com

Oct 24, 2016 10:35 AM in response to llamadave

Unless you are dealing with. Dr. of Audiology you are dealing with a technician.

A Dr of Audiology will test for the resonate frequency of each ear canal and adjust the HA curve to account for this.

If you get a free hearing test before fitting you are dealing with a technician.

To see a Dr of Audiology requires a referral from a Primary Care physician if you are on Medicare

Also I paid $4600 for my Linx2 762's from My Dr of Audiology.

Call around to compare prices.

Dr of Audiology services don't jack the price up like "Hearing Centers" you are going to

Nov 30, 2016 5:09 PM in response to llamadave

Resound did reply to my email above, suggesting that I reset the network on the iPhone and link again. I did this and it did not help. After further tests I discovered that the distortion is from WiFi on the iPhone. If I turn off WiFi then the interference goes away, but there is still some low-frequency noise. After complaining more to Resound and to my audiologist, I learned that two other customers in the hearing center had the same problem. So I returned the Linx2 962 and will try the latest model from Signia which has the same capabilities as the Linx2. For the record, here is my list of problems with the Linx2:

1. Interference from WiFi while streaming from the iPhone.
  2. Excessive noise at low frequencies, easily demonstrated when streaming a pure sine wave at low frequencies, below 300 Hz.
  3. Extra low frequencies when streaming above 3 kHz, maybe intentional for voice recognition but not appropriate for music.
  4. My Apple watch has not worked with the iPhone app since the upgrade to IOS 10.
  5. The hearing aids report low battery after a day. When I take the battery out and rub off the top and put them back, they last another 2 or 3 days.

I will report back here in a few weeks my experience with the Signia.

David

RESOUND LINKS - POOR STREAMING SOUND QUALITY

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.