Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Health app size

My health app is over 1.7 GB. How can this be? I can't back up to iCloud because my back up size exceeds my available space. upon researching I realized that the health app was taking up 1.7 GB of space. Ideas?

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 5:14 AM

12 replies

Jan 5, 2017 2:42 AM in response to JoeSchofield

By deleting my iCloud backup I was able to temporarily get it down to 100MB. A week later however its at 1.3GB and still rising. Seems every night when it did iCloud backup its size exploded higher and higher.

What I did was Settings>iCloud>Backup and disable+delete

reboot phone

reenable Settings>iCloud>Backup

Spend hours talking to apple support but they are pretty useless. How can anyone believe that 2GB of health data is normal and growing by 100-400MB a day is fine??

Oct 27, 2014 9:34 AM in response to tonefox

Yes it the Health App is accumulating data day to day.

Do you realize how much data 200MB difference is?

The entire storage for the Withings App which stores ALL my health data in it is 97MB. This includes steps, blood pressure, heart rate, sleep patterns, and weight.

Today the health app takes up 2.0 GB. This is about 100MB per day. Since yesterday, I've taken about 5000 steps, weighed once, measured my blood pressure and pulse once and accumulated sleep data. All of this should take under 10 kbytes to store.

There is a serious problem with either the Health App or the Withings App (the only app that syncs with it).

So, yes, the data should increase, but by a lot less than 1% of what it is currently increasing per day.

Oct 31, 2014 9:29 PM in response to JoeSchofield

Now it is at 2.6 GB.

I have uninstalled the Withings App.

Now the Health App exists with a broken link to the Withings App. AND, it still contains 2.6GB of data. Oh, and if I go into any of the various categories to turn off the ability to sync "weight" (for example), the health app locks up.

This would probably be solved if I could just uninstall the health app, but it cannot be uninstalled.

I haven't backed up in several days because the size of this health app and other backups exceeded my 5GB. So, I really don't want to restore the phone. The only think I can think of is to pay Apple for more cloud storage, backup, and restore, but then I think I'll have this 2.6GB of bogus data backed up.

Any ideas?

Nov 9, 2014 7:11 AM in response to JoeSchofield

Hi,

I have the exact same problem. Have you found any solutions? I tried to restore all settings on the iPhone (thinking this would get rid of the Health App data) and was unable to reboot the phone. I'm now restoring from an unencrypted backup (w/o Health App data). We'll see if this works. It seems that the problem is with the Withings Health Mate App, so I'm hesitant to try using this with the Health App until they issue an update. I just started using the Withings Pulse and wonder if this had anything to do with the problem. I noticed that the battery (in the pulse) was draining really quick on the pulse (w/in 4 days) - maybe it has something to do with the Health App problem (bloated app size)?

I also had Strava linked to the Health App and had the same ghost issue as the Withings App when I removed it (the com... link remained).

I also noticed another thread on this subject... Health app hanging - Possible to wipe/reset?

Health app size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.