Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screensaver reverts to default

Yosemite, screensaver reverts to default National Geographic. Not a big deal, but i like my photos for the screensaver. How do I fix this? thx

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 6:29 PM

Back up all data. Quit System Preferences if it's running.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/Preferences/ByHost

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar. Paste into the box that opens (command-V), then press return. A folder should open. If it does, look for a file with a long name that begins "com.apple.screensaver". There may be several such files. Move them all to the Trash.

Log out or restart the computer. Test. If the problem is resolved, empty the Trash and recreate your settings in the Screen Saver tab.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2014 6:29 PM in response to edwin87

Back up all data. Quit System Preferences if it's running.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/Preferences/ByHost

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar. Paste into the box that opens (command-V), then press return. A folder should open. If it does, look for a file with a long name that begins "com.apple.screensaver". There may be several such files. Move them all to the Trash.

Log out or restart the computer. Test. If the problem is resolved, empty the Trash and recreate your settings in the Screen Saver tab.

Oct 29, 2014 6:09 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc, thx for the tech support..... guess what? It's happening again! Screensaver reverts back to the beautiful (National geographic).

I went through the steps, your instructions were very easy-to-follow, is there a "save" step at the end I am missing? I am on Yosemite 10.10, i Mac 21.5", late 2012, 1.12T fusioin drive, 8gb DDR3, i have ~7500 photos, I use the "shuffle" option. Need screenshots? Please advise, thx!

Dec 13, 2014 4:37 PM in response to edwin87

I have been experiencing the same problem for awhile now. Actually, to the best of my memory, I believe it might have even started before updating to Yosemite. Before, I read Linc's response, I tried another fix. Because I had at times in the past noticed that having iPhoto open would sometimes seem to be the culprit that caused my screensaver to revert back to a default option, I decided to set-up a folder on my desktop called "Christmas Slide Show". I then dragged all of the pix in my existing iPhoto "Christmas slide show" album into the aforementioned desktop folder. This removed iPhoto from the equation. Then, of course, you would select the desktop folder in Systems Preferences as your screensaver. I experienced no problems after that. It worked perfect for a couple of days. But then, after I read Linc's fix, it seemed apparent that my fix was only a work around... where his was an actual solution that enabled iPhoto & Systems Preferences to perform their intended functions. So, i tried it. Thus far, Linc's solution is working great for me. I only responded because it did not seem to work for everyone. For those that are still having troubles, you might give my work-around a shot... at least till Apple comes up with a permanent solution that works for all.

2.4GHz Intl 2 Duo, 24", 6GB, 2TB, Mac OS X (10.10.1)

Jan 11, 2015 12:09 PM in response to The Zach

I found an idea in another discussion that has worked for over a week.

Just leave System Preferences open after you've set it up the way you want, then it'll stay on the album you selected. It even seems to stay on it after a few days if you close it up then. I haven't messed around enough to know the exact conditions but it's been showing the pictures from my album for a week or more now and the only thing I did different was to leave it open.

I half tried the above solution -- deleting those files with System Preferences closed and then setting up the screen saver again, but I didn't want to either reboot or login and off again right then and it didn't work.

Feb 17, 2015 5:48 AM in response to edwin87

I had the same issue and tried this fix. I wasn't convinced it worked for me.

However, I also found that when selecting the source of photos for the screen saver it makes a difference which folder I select...

If I select the 'iPhoto' library icon that first comes up (in the hope of seeing all my Photos) it reverts to National Geographic when the screensaver runs.

But if I click the triangle to the left of the 'iPhoto' icon, and then select the 'Photos' icon from the drop-down list that appears, the screensaver does not revert to displaying National Geographic photos.

screensaver reverts to default

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.