Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes not recognizing iPod Classic 6th Gen

Hi, here's hoping somebody can help with this problem.

My iPod has 105GB of music on it and it works fine but within the last few days has kept requesting me to run a disk check to fix files which I've done but it does not connect to iTunes.

After running disk check it reports that files are fixed but clicking on details, it reports that volume created on 15/09/2014 refers to a disk that appears to be a non-windows XP disk!

I would certainly appreciate some help in trying to sort this problem out.

With thanks, Brian.

iPod classic, Windows Vista

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 7:14 AM

5 replies

Oct 28, 2014 6:46 AM in response to brianfrombourne end

Hi brianfrombourne end,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like your iPod is working but is not recognized by iTunes or your computer.

I recommend starting with these two articles to troubleshoot the issue:

iPod not appearing in iTunes

These articles have a lot of good steps that can help, whether your iPod is not showing up in iTunes or Windows.

Best Regards,

Jeremy

Oct 29, 2014 3:51 AM in response to jeremy_v

Hi jeremy_v,

Thanks for your reply and advice but I have already worked through all suggested steps, even to the point of uninstalling/reinstalling iTunes. I think that for whatever reason, iTunes is just not recognising my iPod because of some software problem, something to do with the fact that iTunes is now saying that the disk is a non - windows XP disk and I just can't get my head round this! This problem manifested itself in version 11, so it cannot be attributed to version 12!!

In all other respects, both iTunes and iPod are functioning quite normally so I'll just have to be content with the situation and hope the problem goes away as quickly as it came.

Many thanks,

Brian

iTunes not recognizing iPod Classic 6th Gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.