Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6: Is it possible to still use Touch ID for Apple Pay and iTunes purchases without requiring a passcode at start up (when accessing phone from lock screen)?

I just upgraded to an iPhone 6 from an iPhone 4, so I'm not used to Touch ID.

I don't like to "lock" my phone - I like to be able to simply swipe and access my phone from the lock screen without the extra step of entering a passcode or holding my finger on the home button (this is especially important if I'm trying to access Spotify or Podcasts while driving).

I'd like to be able to use Touch ID for Apple Pay or even just iTunes purchases so I don't have to keep typing in my password. However, for some reason, it seems these two things are entwined: Whenever I turn off passcode requirements, it turns off Touch ID for everything. If I try to turn Touch ID on for Apple Pay or iTunes, it automatically turns passcode requirements on.

So is there a way to get around this? Is there a way to use Touch ID for everything BUT "unlocking" the phone?

And if not, why is that?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 9:40 AM

No, you can't use Touch ID for purchasing without using Touch ID to unlock the phone.

Submit your feedback directly to Apple using the appropriate link on the Feedback page:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

My experience has been that Touch ID is faster and easier than swiping, especially when my phone is in my dash mount. Also, if you're using Spotify in the car with the phone plugged into a car charger, the phone doesn't autolock anyway.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2014 9:40 AM in response to Protocol417

No, you can't use Touch ID for purchasing without using Touch ID to unlock the phone.

Submit your feedback directly to Apple using the appropriate link on the Feedback page:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

My experience has been that Touch ID is faster and easier than swiping, especially when my phone is in my dash mount. Also, if you're using Spotify in the car with the phone plugged into a car charger, the phone doesn't autolock anyway.

Oct 25, 2014 2:27 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thank you! I hadn't realized that you could skip the "swipe" if you had Touch ID on. That is much faster and easier to do while driving!

Now that I know I'm not missing anything, I will definitely submit feedback to Apple, because there really doesn't seem to be any reason for the two functions to be linked. The option to leave my phone "unlocked" would be nice.

Oct 25, 2014 3:35 PM in response to Protocol417

The beauty of Touch ID is that you CAN lock your phone and have maximum security without anybody additional hassle. if the phone is locked, click the Home button and then keep your finger on the button ( the finger must be one you have stored your fingerprint with ). The phone will unlock. No slide to unlock needed. Just hold your finger on the Home button for a second and the phone unlocks. No fuss no mess. And you have your phone locked when not in use. If anyone should try to unlock you phone they would need the 4 digit passcode.

Oct 25, 2014 8:49 PM in response to Protocol417

Protocol417 wrote:

Thank you! I hadn't realized that you could skip the "swipe" if you had Touch ID on. That is much faster and easier to do while driving!

Now that I know I'm not missing anything, I will definitely submit feedback to Apple, because there really doesn't seem to be any reason for the two functions to be linked. The option to leave my phone "unlocked" would be nice.

Glad it helped! I'm a huge believer in giving feedback to companies whose products I use.

Oct 26, 2014 7:42 AM in response to Protocol417

Your previous statement implied a chain of causality:

If someone is successful using my Apple Pay or accessing iTunes purchases using Touch ID without my authorization, they will have no problem unlocking my phone.

I was pointing out that said chain works the other way: If they are successful at unlocking your phone, they will then be able to buy things on Tunes.

If what you want is two different passcodes, that's a whole other suggestion. You started out by asking for no password for the phone but an ability to use Touch ID for purchases. There is a case to be made for two different passcodes. You might want to suggest that as well. However, I would point out that, part of the reason Apple implemented TouchID was not because it's more secure than a proper passcode but because it's easier to use, thereby encouraging people to use passcodes. Complicating the issue with two different sets might actually lead to less security because people might not use them at all.

iPhone 6: Is it possible to still use Touch ID for Apple Pay and iTunes purchases without requiring a passcode at start up (when accessing phone from lock screen)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.