Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Progress bar under Downloads in Dock

Hi all,

I am using iMac 21.5-inch Late 2012 BTO version. I upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite without fresh install.

Everything goes well so far except a minor issue:

When I download something, a progress bar appears in the dock under the "Downloads" icon. However, after the download finishes, the solid bar stays under the "Download" and does not disappear. The solid bar will not disappear from the dock even when I removed the "Download" from the dock and it will stays between the "Trash" and the separate line. The only way to make it disappear is to restart iMac.

User uploaded file

If I download something new, a new progress bar appears and the old one stays still there.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9), Serial number

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 3:24 PM

Try doing a Dock restart using the following Terminal command:

killall Dock

Log out/in and test. If that doesn’t work, you need to look in your user Library/Applications Support/Dock for the .db. Use the Finder “Go To Folder” command. Enter ~/Library/Applications Support/Dock. Move the .db to your desktop.

Then try a dock reset.

Applications/Utilities/Terminal enter the command

killall Dock

Log out/in test. If it works okay, delete the .db from the desktop.

If the Dock is the same, return the .db to where you got them from, overwriting the newer ones.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2014 3:24 PM in response to snowyandrain

Try doing a Dock restart using the following Terminal command:

killall Dock

Log out/in and test. If that doesn’t work, you need to look in your user Library/Applications Support/Dock for the .db. Use the Finder “Go To Folder” command. Enter ~/Library/Applications Support/Dock. Move the .db to your desktop.

Then try a dock reset.

Applications/Utilities/Terminal enter the command

killall Dock

Log out/in test. If it works okay, delete the .db from the desktop.

If the Dock is the same, return the .db to where you got them from, overwriting the newer ones.

Mar 27, 2015 6:13 AM in response to braintoniq

I have also been dealing with the non-disappearing bar underneath the download folder in my dock since upgrading to Mavericks from Mountain Lion on my MBP 15" Retina (late 2012 version). I've been using Yosemite since it was released (upgrade, not fresh install- I haven't noticed any other issues). I've mostly just ignored the bar and assumed that it would get fixed in an OS patch/update/new version (like Mavericks to Yosemite).

But... since this doesn't seem to be a priority... I thought I'd check out if anyone else is having this issue. Looks like it's a fairly widespread issue based on my skulks through various Apple/Mac/OS X forums and message boards.

Braintoniq's "drag the offending folder off the dock, then back on again" was an instant fix on my end. I also tried the Terminal command/logout solution, but who wants to log out and back in every few hours? I'm really curious to know if this is on Apple's radar at all, or if this is just too minor of a user-experience issue to rate fixing.

The "drag the offending folder off the dock, then back on again" is the quickest and easiest solution (at least until a permanent one is found).

Thanks so much braintoniq!

-Ben

Progress bar under Downloads in Dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.