Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 2 keeps prompting me to set up cellular data

Every once in a while my iPad Air 2 WiFi+Cellular prompts me to set up cellular data.

In Settings, Cellular Data, there is no "off" switch.

User uploaded file

How can I turn this prompting off?

Thanks,

iPad, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 9:37 AM

10 replies

Nov 7, 2014 5:35 PM in response to MPMeyer

I Had a similar problem, called AppleCare and they told me to pull the sim. If I did that it would warn me that there was no sim. I thought that wasn't a solution.

I Followed your solution with a retired sim from an old iPhone and it worked. Now I wish someone would resolve the Safari lookup freezing problem on iPad Air 2's.

Thanks for your solution.

Nov 15, 2014 7:08 AM in response to MPMeyer

I have an answer: talk to Siri! Yes, it seems ridiculous but I was getting nagged as well about cellular and all search results say "Go to cellular data and turn off". You have have, like I have, that there is no "turn off" switch. So I finally said "Hey Siri, turn off cellular data" and she replied "OK, turning off cellular data". I still don't have an on/off switch bit the staus under settings says Oh double eff - OFF.

Mar 31, 2015 2:00 PM in response to MPMeyer

I had the same issue and having Siri to turn off data did not work. The only way that I was able to get it to stop was to restore my IPad from back up from my iPad mini instead of setting it up as new and it turned the cellular data off because it was turned off on the iPad mimi because I did not have a data plan. Did a restore from backup yesterday and have not had the pop up telling me I don't have a data plan.

Apr 30, 2015 7:50 PM in response to MPMeyer

This appears to be a bug in IOS 8.3 or other recent version. I started running into this problem after I got a malfunctioning mini replaced with a new unit, and got upgraded to IOS 8.3 as part of restoring the new unit from my backup. This problem did not occur with my old unit, which was running an earlier IOS version. You'll get the nag for a cellular account any time an app makes a web reference and WiFi is either off or not available. The bug is you get the nag regardless of whether you have cellular data enabled or disabled in the system setup. The cruel irony of the bug is that after dismissing the nag with the "Later" button, you get prompted with the helpful hint that turning cellular data off turns off the nag. NOT! If I respond to the hint, I get taken to the system setup, which shows cellular data already turned off!

I use the iPad mainly to run ForeFlight, a flight planning and navigation app. When I'm in the air there's no WiFi and there's usually no cell service either, which is why I haven't set up a cellular data account. Like others, I bought the cellular model for the GPS.

The ForeFlight support folks gave me the only solution that works: Yank out the SIM card. Since you're not using cellular data you don't need it anyway. Just pack it up in something large enough to be findable and put it in a safe place. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE CELLULAR DATA TURNED OFF before you take out the SIM card. Otherwise you'll get nagged about not having a SIM card, and I suspect if you pull it all the cellular data options get disabled, so it may not be possible to turn off cellular data if there's no SIM card.

I've asked the ForeFlight folks to escalate this to Apple. Apple, I hope you're listening. This bug is really really annoying. When I pop up ForeFlight to look at something on a chart and I'm getting bounced around in the airplane, I need to work through dismissing a couple of nag prompts like I need a hole in my head! Actually, this is more than annoying - this is potentially dangerous.

- Andy

iPad Air 2 keeps prompting me to set up cellular data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.