Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i completely delete message app from my mac?

how can i completely delete the message app from my mac?

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 10:23 AM

You don't ever remove any component of OS X. If you don't like it then don't use it. You can easily move the Dock icon by dragging it out of the Dock.

9 replies

Oct 26, 2014 2:08 PM in response to riverside1951

Hi,

Turn it Off.

Open the app and select the Preferences item in the app Menu and then Accounts

Deselect the check box fro all accounts listed.

The default state is for two account to show.

Bonjour (which should also be Un-Enabled at the beginning) and the iMessages account which needs you Apple ID.

You can also Sign Out so that the account will not use any ID listed. (It does tend to show it but need the password to be entered)

In System Preferences > Internet Accounts you may find some emails can be Enabled for Messages here as well.

They should be unchecked.

And as Kappy states you can remove it from the DOCK.

If it is launching all the time when you are not expecting it to check the System Preferences > Users and Groups > Your account > Login items

If it is listed here it will start up at the same time the Mac does.

The app itself also has a setting for turning off "Listening" for new IMs or iMessages coming from the various server that can cause the app to launch.

Tick the box in the General Section of the Preferences that reads " When I Quit, set the Status to Off Line"

User uploaded file

9:08 pm Sunday; October 26, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Jan 23, 2015 9:26 AM in response to nick.bonter3

Do a backup.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/

com.apple.iChat.plist and com.apple.iChat.StatusMessages.plist. Move the .plists to your desktop.

Restart, open the application and test. If it works okay, delete the plists from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plists to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Jan 23, 2015 12:56 PM in response to nick.bonter3

As per email.

Hi,

In the Finder (have any window open), Use the Go Menu whilst holding down the ALT key.

This will show the Library in the Menu, select this.

Navigate to the Preferences folder.

Find the com.apple.ids.service.com.apple.madrid.plist file and drag it to the Trash.

This is the one Messages reads directly to create the Receive At list and, if shown, the Start Conversations From drop down.

If Messages was starting properly and you restarted it at the point you would have to re-enter the Apple ID.

On the iPhone.

Go to Settings > Messages and check the app is ON first.

Then check the Send and Receive Section.

This will always list the iPhone Number as ticked and Greyed out (You can’t edit it).

Having said that I have twice found the Number to be Unchecked (whilst still grey out).

If this is the case go to the Apple ID section and Remove the Apple ID.

This will also remove it from the Send and Receive section (you can’t do it the other way round.)

Once that is done, place the iPhone in Airplane mode to break with the Servers.

After a few minutes take it out of Airplane Mode and return to Setting > Messages

You should see the iPhone Number being Verified. Wait until this is done.

(I would normally suggest sending an iMessage to the Apple ID at this point as it would be the only Active ID on the Mac. And sending a reply)

You can now add the Apple ID back to the iPhone if you wish to use that as well, if you intend to use it.

If not then you way want this site https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

Please stick to one method of asking me (The thread will do for now.)

I am here 3 hours every evening.

I read all the new post regarding email alerts from the boards.

I then filter the Yosemite, Mavericks and iChat Areas using the Contents page and where require Messages or iMessages and deal with unread one.

Posting here at 2.41PM (according to the Time view I have) and then emailing me 11 minutes later seems like you are giving me the hurry up.

In the email and this Post you are not clear if you want Messages to work again.

Removing the com.apple.ichat.plist may help with that. (The Status Message one will not)

You may find checking the Font Book and the AppleGothic Font is the answer.

User uploaded file

8:56 pm Friday; January 23, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 30, 2016 1:16 PM in response to hk richard

Hi,

If the Mac User account Login Password is not the same as the Login Keychain then it will not be unlocked and you will get constant request to allow Applications to use the Keychain.

In Mavericks you can open Keychain Access (Applications/Utilities) and then using the App Menu > First Aid you can synchronise the Login Password with the Keychain password.

Messages does also "Write" the Encryption key for each iMessage to the Keychain which might be what you are seeing if the app is launched and you are still getting "alerts".

User uploaded file

9:15 pm Wednesday; March 30, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 31, 2016 1:40 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thanks for this

it dawned on me once I read an earlier thread of yours, this was the problem: My misunderstanding that Keychain would use a more safe (complex) password. I think apple actually advise this. But of course it screws up everything associated with the password user entry :-(

It is sooooooo frustrating logging in to messages agent needs password everyday (well every reboot) and then opening keychain and deleting every messages agent entry. Not a good (apple) user experience.

Only glad am not alone in this given I have been tinkering around in macs since amiga went bust

cheers🙂

how can i completely delete message app from my mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.