Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMS relay from work iPhone to personal iPhone

8.1 and Yosemite installed. I have two 5S', one for work and one personal. Both phones are registered under my single Apple ID.

I'd like to get SMS relay to send texts from the work phone (silver) to the personal phone (gold), so I can leave one phone home and just deal with one phone. SMS relay is working fine between my phones and my Mac.

When I try to select my personal phone from the "Text Message Forwarding" setting, it says to enter the code that is displaying on the iPhone, but no code displays on either phone.

I have made sure that my email is selected under "You can be reached by iMessage at:" on both phones.

Both phones are on the same Wi-Fi subnet and can definitely see each other, as the Phone handoff functionality seems to work fine as one incoming call makes both of them ring.

Any ideas?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 11:43 AM

7 replies

Oct 25, 2014 12:32 PM in response to jadea3

The only suggestion I can offer is to put one iPhone into Airplane mode and turn its Wi-Fi back on, essentially making it equivalent to an iPad in terms of connectivity at the time you're trying to mate the two iPhones. I would do this on the "recipient" iPhone, not the one that is the source of SMS messages. If it works, then turn Airplane mode off and see if the connection holds.

May 5, 2015 10:19 AM in response to rockmyplimsoul

This worked for me!

I have an old iPhone 4S that I use around the farm and at the gym. I wanted it to connect using continuity services to my iPhone 6+ which has the mobile service plan attached to it (the 4S does not). I had to turn ON Airplane Mode and then turn on WiFi and Bluetooth. In the FaceTime settings the "iPhone Cellular Calls" is turned on as well.

I can not make OUTGOING calls on the 4S it says I must re-enable Airplane Mode; however, I can receive calls on the 4S as long as the 6Plus is on the same WiFi network.

Hope this helps.

May 5, 2015 11:43 AM in response to SaddleBear

SaddleBear wrote:

I can not make OUTGOING calls on the 4S it says I must re-enable Airplane Mode; however, I can receive calls on the 4S as long as the 6Plus is on the same WiFi network.

Just like an iPad (and Mac) you can probably place outgoing phone calls on the 4S using FaceTime under these conditions. No need for cellular service if your 4S has Wi-Fi and your iPhone 6 Plus is on the same network, your 4S would use the FaceTime app to place regular audio calls using the 6 Plus' cellular connection.

Oct 31, 2015 9:52 PM in response to SaddleBear

On your 4S, is it the same case for SMS text messages? I'm having that problem recently putting my deactivated 4S back into service as a glorified iPod. I don't know if it's because iMessage and FaceTime are "waiting for activation" (even though they're both working just fine), but SMS messages are being received fine on the 4S being relayed from my 5S. However if I go to reply to said SMS text, it says the usual about please disable Airplane Mode etc etc, and won't send.

SMS relay from work iPhone to personal iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.