Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't activate airdrop on my macbook pro late 2011

Hey,

I have a macbook pro late 2011 an I am running osx yosemite. Like you can see on the picture I cant select my airdrop status (no drop down menu, nothing just that what you can see), so it is impossible to activate the thing. Airdrop used to work for me on mavericks.

I restarted the macbook several times, but nothing changed.

What am I doing wrong?User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 2:50 PM

Airdrop Requirements and some Troubleshooting

5 replies

Nov 3, 2016 8:59 AM in response to Gizmo08

I Just researched this as I have the same date of MacBook Pro (Late 2011)...

As for MANY things about this year-model of Mac, MANY features are limited - the real frustration being if it were the next year later (2012) model, then they would...!!

These restricted features are, in the main, associated with the out-dated combination BlueTooth/WiFi internal card, for things, starting with AirDrop, and ending with the ability to unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch.

Why is an AirDrop dialog even showing then? - Apparently all you can do is AirDrop BETWEEN MACS - that's all...!!

It IS possible to replace the card, but is a lot of hassle as it too is one year before a more standard PCI socket was introduced, so it means expense, jury-rigging & tutorials...!!

See the link in the other reply, reproduced again here:

Use AirDrop to send content from your Mac - Apple Support

I can't activate airdrop on my macbook pro late 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.