Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite install problem.

HI I attempted to install Yosemite from the App Store on my IMAC without backing up first to Time Machine (stupid I know)

Anyway the install goes so far through and I then get a message 'THE OSX INSTALLATION COULDN'T BE COMPLETED. To start installing OSX again click restart. To start up your computer using a different disk choose start up disk from the utilities menu.

i also get an installation log.

if I select start installing again it fails with exactly the same problem. If i choose to use a different disk there isn't one listed. I seem to be in a loop. Is there any way to back up my files on the hard drive from terminal or is there another way out of this?

i had been using a completely upto date copy of Mavericks prior to this.

ken

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 10:56 AM

9 replies

Oct 25, 2014 10:59 AM in response to kenfrompershore

Try this before re-running the installer:

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions - Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion or Lion

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported then click on the Repair Permissions button. When the process is completed, then quit DU and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Oct 25, 2014 1:04 PM in response to Kappy

HI SMART STATUS was verified. First Aid/Repair Disk didn't report any errors. Repair permissions did find some and repaired them all. Ran restart and installation came up with the same report although the installation log is slightly different this time. Still stuck in the same place. I assume I cannot now re-install Mavericks without losing everything on my hard drive. is there any way to recover my Home Directory?

Ken

Oct 26, 2014 3:29 PM in response to kenfrompershore

Then all you can do is to try and make a clone of the drive onto a connected USB drive, if that is possible:

Clone Mavericks, Lion/Mountain Lion using Restore Option of Disk Utility

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu then press the Continue

button.

2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.

3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.

4. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it

to the Destination entry field.

5. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to

the Source entry field.

6. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the external backup drive. Source means the internal startup drive.

Or you can take your chances and reinstall Yosemite:

Reinstall Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks or Yosemite without erasing drive

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Repair

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported then click on the Repair Permissions button. When the process is completed, then quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks,or Yosemite

OS X Yosemite- Reinstall OS X

OS X Mavericks- Reinstall OS X

OS X Mountain Lion- Reinstall OS X

OS X Lion- Reinstall Mac OS X

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet

if possible because it isthree times faster than wireless.

Yosemite install problem.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.