Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my ipad is stuck on a black screen with only the apple icon...ive tried to hold the home button

any ideas on whats wrong with it or how to fix it? I cant get it to do anything, I cant even tell if its charging....it hasnt been dropped or put in water...it just decided to do this one day in the middle of the night

iPad, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 2:24 PM

4 replies

Oct 28, 2014 10:34 AM in response to missglbert

Hi missglbert,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like your iPad is unexpectedly not starting up past the logo. I understand how frustrating that can be, and recommend these steps to help troubleshoot the issue:

1. If the device is unresponsive or if certain controls aren't working as expected, restart your device.
  2. If the device remains unresponsive or does not turn on (or power on), reset your device.
  3. If there is no video or if the screen remains black, verify that the device has enough charge to turn on:
    1. If you are using an iPad, ensure that it's connected to the USB Power Adapter supplied with the device.
    2. Let it charge for at least twenty minutes, then see if it starts normally.
    3. If there is no image on the screen, press the Sleep/Wake button to attempt to wake the device.
    4. If the screen displays a red battery icon, continue charging the device until the battery is fully charged. Learn more about charging iPhone and iPod touch, or iPad.
  4. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, or the if the screen remains black or shows a persistent Apple logo, try restoring with iTunes:
    1. Connect the device to your computer and open iTunes.
    2. If the device appears in iTunes, select and click Restore on the Summary pane. Learn more about restoring iOS software.
    3. If the device doesn't appear in iTunes, try to force the device into recovery mode, and then restore it.
  5. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, contact Apple.

iOS: Not responding or does not turn on

Best Regards,

Jeremy

Sep 3, 2015 2:25 AM in response to missglbert

Yep! Me too!

Black screen of death on my iPad, and visions of many dollars siphoning off my bank balance into Apple's hands. No combination of buttons worked, no matter how long they were pressed. I put it on its back and whacked it a few times. No joy. Put it on its front and slapped it around a few times to teach it a lesson it wouldn't forget. Nup! Dropped it onto carpet from half a metre onto its back. Bingo! Colours were… a bit wrong, but it was a start. Dropped it again onto its back from half a metre onto carpet. Fixed it.

I am not overly confident as to the permanency of the fix. And it should NOT happen. But the drop test worked.

Many thanks to all who have posted. Forums like these make the world work. …and iPads as well.

my ipad is stuck on a black screen with only the apple icon...ive tried to hold the home button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.