Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't stream HD content from iMac to Apple TV - help pls!

Hi.

Until a few days ago everything worked fine but now I can't stream HD movies from my iMac iTunes library to my Apple TV or iPad.

My library is recognized just fine, I can access all the films - but when I try to play them all I get is the dreaded waiting circle which just circles forever without any movie playing. SD content will play but only after a loooong wait - but forget HD films. They just circle forever - in a few cases they will play for a few seconds and then halt.

As mentioned, I have the same issue on my iPad Mini 2, so it might not solely be an ATV problem but rather a Yosemite / iTunes issue? Not sure.

The facts:

I have changed nothing in my setup from a few days ago when everything worked fine and until now when nothing does.

I have rebooted my router.

I have rebooted my iMac and made sure Yosemite is updated.

I have factory reset my ATV3 and updated it to the latest firmware

I have renamed my iMac iTunes library as was suggested by someone in another thread.

I have tested my network speed and it's fine (30 MB down / 7 up)

Still it doesn't work :-(

Can anyone help? This is so annoying - it's like the transmission speed has gone way down between my imac and ATV and iPad.

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 2:24 PM

2 replies

Oct 25, 2014 10:44 PM in response to jwrusa

Very strange but it seems it WAS a network/speed issue after all. My internet speed seemed fine when measured, though only half (15mb) of the speed I usually get (30mb). But somehow it was sluggish which a simple Google search showed me. Sluggish loading of search results and photos. A few hours later it had corrected itself and the speed was back to normal - and everything worked again.

May 6, 2015 7:57 AM in response to jwrusa

For what it's worth this is my story, Apple TV on which I now rely totally for my entertainment started getting sluggish a few weeks/months? ago, both the one in the bedroom and in the living room. Loading was desperate the spinning wheel driving me to distraction, I did all the usual reset the settings, rebooted the Mac, repaired the disk and kicked the cat, brief respite and then back to the dreaded whirligig of death.

This evening I tried something different, my Airport Extreme handles 2.4 and 5GHz so I ran Wireless Diagnostics (hold down option key whilst clicking on wi-fi symbol) (then go to window in menu bar and select scan) and ran a scan.

The scan identified the best channels for both frequencies, I selected these as opposed to automatic and all was well, average time to load and start a movie 20 seconds.

Try it I hope it works for you I have had so much help from the Apple communities for so many years I hope I can give a little back.

Can't stream HD content from iMac to Apple TV - help pls!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.