Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Apple sell the iPhone 6 unlocked?

Hi: I'm interested in buying an unlocked iPhone 6. I wondered if anyone has been able to do so from Apple directly? I'm in the US, home of locked telco contracts, but prefer to have an unlocked phone so it's more convenient in my international travels. Can one buy from Apple an unlocked phone?

I checked with AT&T and they will sell you the iPhone 6 but won't unlock for you for a year from the purchase date. I guess that's to punish you for the notion of wanting to have a bit of freedom from their overarching grasp 😟

Thanks,

Phil

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 2:48 PM

No, they do not as yet. But you can get the contract-free T-Mobile version. It is locked to T-Mobile for the first 40 says, I understand. Thereafter, it can be fully unlocked. But you may find that T-Mobile provides extensive international coverage.

"I guess that's to punish you for the notion of wanting to have a bit of freedom from their overarching grasp." This is such a silly remark about that which you don't understand. Why do you think they are willing to sell you a $700 phone for $99?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2014 2:48 PM in response to longpd

No, they do not as yet. But you can get the contract-free T-Mobile version. It is locked to T-Mobile for the first 40 says, I understand. Thereafter, it can be fully unlocked. But you may find that T-Mobile provides extensive international coverage.

"I guess that's to punish you for the notion of wanting to have a bit of freedom from their overarching grasp." This is such a silly remark about that which you don't understand. Why do you think they are willing to sell you a $700 phone for $99?

Oct 26, 2014 10:21 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy: my remark that you characterised as 'silly' is hardly that. AT&T is charging me over $900 when the monthly payments for the handset are tallied up. I looked online, at least within the US, and that's still slightly better than the $1100+ I was seeing for an iPhone 6 on Amazon and a few other sites (note this is for a fully memory configured phone not the 32MB version). So yes there is a modest subsidy, but no it's not $99, at least from AT&T.

I know that is some benefit, but you have to admit it's not much.

I appreciate your suggestion about T-mobile. They do seem to be the most aligned with more contemporary currents of openness and enabling the customer's value proposition while serving their needs to return value to their shareholders. Unfortunately for me, one of the areas that parts of my extended family lives in doesn't have great T-mobile coverage (at least not at the moment). Hence, I ended up with AT&T and their willingness to unlock the phone not in 40 days, but 365 days.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance. Very helpful.

Cheers,

Phil

Oct 27, 2014 7:43 AM in response to longpd

I bought my wife an unlocked iPhone 5s for full price from Apple last December. I originally tried service with T-Mobile, but didn't get good coverage. I switched to an AT&T month-to-month prepaid plan and it works fine. I can switch to another carrier any time. I plan to buy an unlocked 6 Plus from Apple when they become available. Until then, I still have a life...

Does Apple sell the iPhone 6 unlocked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.