Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Was Yosemite an upgrade simply to do an upgrade?

I Installed Yosemite, and the decision to revert back to Mountain Lion was made in about 10 seconds after booting up for the first time.

the new interface is AWFUL! The buttons and dock have been simplified so much that they look like they have been created by a 3rd grade student playing with computers for the first time.

The new font - looks very similar to Helvetica - does not work with a computer GUI. This will be very hard to read at small sizes. It really looks like Apple have made a GUI change just for the sake of it.

Second reason for reverting is that I immediately saw that VMware Fusion does not work with Yosemite.

I was really looking forward to the ability to use Air Drop between my devices, but I won't be able to do this now - such a shame.

Perhaps Apple could make the new features available in a normal GUI?

Disappointing ...

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 9:06 PM

7 replies

Oct 26, 2014 1:47 AM in response to petermac87

Hi Pete,

I never got to explore the new features - I saw the horrible interface, and saw that the shortcut in my Dock for VMware Fusion had a cross through it - tried to launch it and was told that it is not supported.

It really feels like Apple have done this GUI upgrade just for the sake of doing an upgrade.

Regarding the GUI - Apple sells some of the most beautiful monitors for viewing the GUI, and now they make an interface that could probably made with 256 colours, rather than the millions at their disposal. I can appreciate that sometimes simple is nice, but they seem to have gone to the "simple" extreme.

Please don't get me wrong, I am a Mac fan - have been working in the Printing Prepress industry for the past 30 years. Mac has been the predominant software/hardware in Prepress for the past 20 years or so. I love Mac, but they have dropped the ball on the simple things here.

Please Apple, put your new features into a GUI that reflects Apple's status in personal computing!

Derek

Oct 26, 2014 1:59 AM in response to --DarkHalf--

Then stay with Mountain Lion, even though further support will be short lived. If you went from Mountain Lion to Yosemite, then you missed Mavericks and will find that many of your third party apps will be incompatible. Most updates have been made in the year or two that Mavericks has been the latest OS X, (such as VMware Fusion) so those who ran Mavericks (Tens upon tens of millions) got use to many of the GUI changes before Yosemite. I do not see Yosemite as much of a radical change from Mavericks, but I can understand anybody coming from a much earlier OS X seeing the difference.

Cheers

Pete

Oct 27, 2014 4:35 AM in response to --DarkHalf--

Like they said to "Cheswick" in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest..... "Get A Grip"

To all with Yosemite and/or Wifi Issues... I don't doubt that Yosemite might have a couple bugs but to say that it's riddled with bugs and Yosemite is Trash is quite self centered and untrue.... I have a Non-Retina Mid 2012 MacBook Pro and Upgraded to Yosemite with ZERO problems but I also did a little homework FIRST before the Bi-Polar Mac User Took over.... Here's what I did..

Ran CleanMyMac First in Mavericks... then Rebooted.... then Installed Yosemite... and all App Updates - One at a Time....not all at once...

Then Rebooted into Recovery Mode and Ran Disk Utility to Repair Permissions then launched into Yosemite

Finally I set DNS Settings in Network Preferences to Google DNS's because they are faster then the Default Time Warner Cable DNS address supplied with my Router.... added "8.8.8.8" and "8.8.4.4" to DNS Tab.

Been running YOSEMITE Very Noticeably Faster and Snappier than Mavericks with ZERO problems. I'd be willing to bet all the people with problems here did no prep work, hadn't rebooted or cleaned their systems in months and just drove off that cliff like Thelma & Louise.

I have read this solution below is working for the vast Majority of people....

Creating a New Wi-Fi Service (this solution worked for me!)

• Copy and paste these instructions, because you'll be disconnected from the Internet and you'll need to reboot.
  • Go into your Network Preferences > Select Wi-Fi Service (in the list in the left column) > Click on the options (cog icon) > Select "Make Service Inactive" > Select Apply.
  • Select the same Wi-Fi Service > Delete It ( – ). Reboot.
  • Return to Network Preferences > Create a New Service ( + ).
  • Inside the prompt select Wi-Fi under Interface, name the Service Name something other than Wi-Fi. (I named mine Wi-Fi2. Apparently if you retain the previous Wi-Fi name the WiFi dropping will return on reboot.) > Click Create.
  • Click Apply.
  • Oct 27, 2014 5:12 AM in response to --DarkHalf--

To answer the question of the Topic starter: "Was Yosemite an upgrade simply to do an upgrade?" : No.

--DarkHalf--, you seem to have mist the whole discussion on renewal of the iOS and OS X in the last two years. Basically the iOS design hadn't changes for over six years. The upgrade to iOS7 was really necessary. You could say the same about the design of OS X. OS X Lion and Mountain Lion added new features to the OS on top of the design of (Snow)Leopard, but they really messed with the coherence and consistency of design-styles for the new features. Mavericks was a little better in that aspect and is at least a very solid OS.

But the make-over of OS X resulting in OS X Yosemite is a very logical step in the development of Apple's the OS's, bringing back coherency and consistency in the design, while all seems familiar enough (if you know Maverick well, you don't have to learn much in Yosemite). You may like or dislike the flat design and colors, but that's not the most important issue. Coherence and consistency are a necessity to an intuitive OS. With Yosemite Apple did a good job at that in my opinion.

So DarkHalf, it's absolutely not change for the sake of change.

Yosemite certainly has some bugs that needs attention, but I would not consider reverting to Mavericks. It works like charm on my iMac9.1. And I hope that problems some folks encounter will be solved soon (although I agree with MacAwesome88 there seem to be a lot of folks here with troubles, just because they did not prepare themselves very well: No system maintenance before updating, not checking if their hardware or software would keep working in Yosemite, no backups...Just people who hit the upgrade button, encounter trouble, that can't be solved easily, and blaming Apple for it).

Was Yosemite an upgrade simply to do an upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.