Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime webcam capture freezing the first half a second?

I have a Macbook Air 2013 13" model and I've just upgraded to Yosemite. Using the latest Quicktime 10.4 (883) I find that webcam capture freezes the first half a second of video. Has anyone else experienced this? I've no idea what to try since in the past (before the upgrade) it has simply worked.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Oct 26, 2014 12:03 PM

3 replies

Oct 31, 2014 8:27 AM in response to EZ Jim

Thanks EZ Jim, I've tried everything you suggested except reinstalling the OS. I've looked for a way to reinstall Quicktime but found nothing. I've even used screen recording to see if the problem persists (which it does) so it's not the webcam drivers.

Is there anything else you can think of suggesting before I take the plunge and reinstall the OS?

Nov 1, 2014 10:01 AM in response to nasfarley88

nasfarley88 wrote:... I've looked for a way to reinstall Quicktime but found nothing...

You're welcome.

QTX is automatically installed as part of Mac OS X 10.9. You can download QuickTime 7 Player and upgrade it to QT7Pro if desired.

Your initial post showsthat you are using OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), which is out of date. If that is correct, you should restart Mac, repair permissions, and apply the OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 Update (Combo). Immediately following the automatic restart that completes the installation of the Combo Update, repair permissions one more time. Alternatively, the latest version of OS X 10.9 with all relevant updates will be installed if you reinstall OS X using these instructions.

nasfarley88 wrote: ... Is there anything else you can think of suggesting before I and reinstall the OS?

Only reapplying the latest Combo Updater -- even if you are already actually using OS X 10.9.5. However, for me, at least, a proper Combo Update does not actually require much different time than reinstalling OS X.

Even if you decide to "take the plunge", I suggest that you repair permissions before and after reinstalling OS X.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.10

Quicktime webcam capture freezing the first half a second?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.