Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Disc 2 of OSX 10.5 to finish installation, need help

Hi,

I have a Mac that has bee sitting in my room for a few about a year, I decided to see if it still runs and give it to my daughter. I turned it own and nothing showed up as a hard drive except that a disc was left installed on the computer. I finally got it out and tried to install it. The first disc went well and then it asked for disc 2. I don't have disc 2. I found a single disc of Snow Leopard or Lion and tried to install that, but when I try to install it, the only option it gives me is to install it on the first disc of 10.5, no hard drive.

So how to I get it to let me see the hard drive to install it on? Is there a way to wipe the drive of the attempt of installing 10.5 so I can install the next operating version that I have the disc's for?

Really confused.

Thanks

Tim

Posted on Oct 26, 2014 3:24 PM

19 replies

Oct 26, 2014 3:47 PM in response to tlahwright

Hi Tim, assuming it's an IntelMac & can run OSX past 10.5.x... hold alt key at power on to choose startup disc.

On 10.5/2nd Disc...

That second Disc thing happens frequently, the best way around it is to hold alt at bootup, do a Custom install, and eliminate enough Printer Drivers, Languages, Fonts, and Applications you don't need... then it may skip #2 altogether.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1442

Oct 27, 2014 2:28 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi,

I press alt and I have three choices, Disk OS2, Hard drive, and Mac OSX Install. If I click Disk OS@, that can go no further because I do not have disc 2. If I select hard drive, the wheel spins for awhile, well really forever, because a circle appears with a line crossed through it, I don't know what that means. and if I select Mac OSX Install it only allows me to install on Disk OS2, nothing else appears on the screen to select.

What am I doing wrong in this process?

Thanks

Tim

Oct 27, 2014 5:15 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi,

Thats what I thought. I did that and nothing happened different, it said it is loading it all up and when finished went back to installer mode. I got the wifi working and downloaded all the updates it said it needed but it wouldn't load them on to run them. I am learning alot but not really making progress. I was thinking of running the two machines in Target mode. I have all the latest OSX on my own machine and the other one has nothing installed it said, is it possible for me to dump this operating system onto the other one. If this was your machine what would you do. The closet place that does mac repairs is about 100 miles away.

Thanks so much for your patience.

Tim

Oct 28, 2014 3:16 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi,

I have no disc's in the old mac. Before I go on, I need to know is there a way to get out of the installation mode for snow leopard.

The old machine is an intel mac and has 8 gig a ram. It has disc 1 of snow leopard installed. When I start up the mac with the alt key pressed down, I have two hard drives appear, one is named DisOS2 and the other says hard drive. When I click the hard drive, after a while a circle appears with a line through it. When I click on the install image on the OS2 hard drive image, it will run the install but return to the installation mode.

My new mac is about 1 year old with 8 gig a ram running the newest software.

What do you think is my next step?

Thanks

Tim

Lost Disc 2 of OSX 10.5 to finish installation, need help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.