Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cineform in latest iMovie / Yosemite?

Hey!

I am using Yosemite and the latest iMovie. I convert my GoPro Vids with GoPro Studio and then try to import it into iMovie.

But it doesn´t work. All the larger (uncompressed) files are greyed out from the Gopro. I only can import / edit the smaller compressed files which are directly on the camera. I already installed the Cineform code but it doesn´t help. Quicktime wants to convert the movies if try to open them.

Any ideas?

Regards

Dominik

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 26, 2014 3:52 PM

2 replies

Nov 9, 2014 12:39 PM in response to dub_ctrl

I'm having the same issue myself. I posted the question on this forum http://goprouser.freeforums.org/cineform-mov-format-and-imovie-compatability-t21 163.html

Here's the same post incase it helps:

I've search multiple forums and haven't had any luck fixing my issue so it's time to post. I'm running os X Yosemite, and iMovie 10 (it's all up to date). I've been using the go pro studio editing software so far and wanted to switch over to iMovie which is when I've started getting all the problems. My gopro is the hero 3+ black and the footage is at 1080 60fps

1. imovie will open the mp4 file straight from the camera, but my laptop doesn't have to power to actually work with it in a usable fashion (choppy).

2. I converted the file using go pro studio (so now it's an MOV file) and iMovie grays out the file.

3. After much searching I learned that the MOV is in a cineform studio format (for gopro software) and that I need the cuneiform codec pack to use these files. I installed the pack and restarted.

4. iMovie still won't recognize the files. Quick time will now open the file, but it runs conversion first and then the file is playable. Upon closing quicktime it asked me if I want to save the converted file. This converted file WILL open in iMovie and play the clip properly (yay!).

5. The cineform mov file still won't open after this.

So if I want to use iMovie the process would be - load file onto computer - convert to mov using gopro studio - open converted file in quick time to convert again then save - open in iMovie. This process just doesn't seem right and takes up way too much hd space.

It's relieving to find out someone else is having this issue as well. Hopefully we can figure it out

Cineform in latest iMovie / Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.